ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts What I'm hearing on the bowl games

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I don't know if everything is going to shake out like a lot of people are expecting. It may, but I also think some things are in play with backdoor discussions.

I heard late last night the Pop-Tarts Bowl is still in discussions with their committee. Both Kansas and West Virginia remain in play for the bowl. West Virginia went to the Camping World Bowl in 2018 which is in Orlando. That could help KU in this one. Most projections have KSU in the Pop Tarts but I think that is far from a done deal.

Right now from what I heard there are still a lot of possibilities as the bowls talk behind the scenes.

There is a pecking order by team's records, but that isn't always the final factor. One thing to watch will be the Liberty Bowl, who sits with a higher pick than the Guaranteed Rate and the Armed Forces Bowl.

It is likely the Liberty Bowl is going to get Iowa State since KU and West Virginia have been to the Liberty Bowl in the last few years. What that does is possibly knock an 8-4 team down a peg with the bowl selection. Iowa State is 7-5 is the strong favorite to end up in Memphis.

A source told me the Pop Tart Bowl really likes KU. But their committee is meeting again today to lay out their plans. So much is still riding on what happens with Texas and how the bowls will slot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News