ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Update Sunday, August 7th and a forecast

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I am coming in with an update to look back and ahead on some recruits where the Jayhawks stand.

I am going to start with Kasen Weisman who I put in a forecast for. I had a chance to visit with him earlier today and I feel good about his upcoming decision.

Quarterback is that one spot where there is so much more time and information that goes into recruiting. I believe over the last month the staff and Weisman have been interviewing each other time after time. With a quarterback it is different than any other position. I think at some point last week the two sides came together.

I also think that had something to do with the staff telling Harris Boyd not to visit. I believe they knew were closing in on Weisman. He won’t announce until Thursday, so we have to wait until then. I know the staff liked Weisman after camp and he went in the indoor and threw set routes for Kotelnicki and Leipold. They liked what they saw.

Aidan Behymer (TE-BVNW) took an unofficial visit to campus last week to see it again and met with the staff. I talked to Behymer, and he said he had a good visit and meeting with Kotelnicki. He said the staff wants to wait and see how his senior season starts. They will be evaluating him.

The defensive line still has several prospects to follow. One of them is Anterio Thompson (DT- Iowa Western) who is staying in constant contact with the coaches after getting an offer. He told me he will likely set up an official visit.

D.J. Jones from Florida is still in the mix with KU. I do think he wants to see what else is out there and will test the waters for a while.

Another DT is Guerlens Milfort who at one time looked like Pitt and NC State were the leaders. But Panagos has stayed on him, and I think KU could have recently moved into the top spot.

Jarra “Bear” Anderson still remains a mystery. All signs point that he committed to the staff but has yet to announce his decision. I know he has a lot going on and he is set to attend Paetow High this year. The big question will be what happens if other DL commit could he lose his spot. I believe he is told what is happening and where things stand.

I really thought Mason Goldman would have committed to KU, but he wants to be patient. He did tell me he wants make a decision within a game or two into his senior year. He has some options, but I think KU is the leader.

CJ Johnson is a safety at Paetow and will be teammates with Bear Anderson. I know Jordan Peterson has been staying in touch with him.

The commit list could easily grow to 12 high school players by September. I have said all along the magic number is 15 in this class. That can always be adjusted but that is a number I have heard talked about. That also gives them room with portal players. With new rules it has changed the way most schools will recruit. KU showed in the offseason they can enhance their roster quickly through the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News