ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Salon article.

JayStew

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2007
Wichita, KS
Salon: "Stop Thanking the Troops for Me: No, They Don't 'Protect Our Freedoms!'"

This is the title of an article that ran on the website 'Salon' today. This, day of all days. The author of the article actually makes some very good points and for me personally, adds some perspective regarding freedom. However, the dichotomy of the piece as well as the point our Government typically misrepresents the objective of the United State's military is what's wrong with how our society represents the purpose of the military.

I honestly do not understand why people in government do not respond to anti-war activists who proclaim "No Blood For Oil" with the fact today's military actions are for oil and commerce in the first place. You can talk about fighting for liberty, nation-building, etc, all you want, but the truth of the matter is all wars are fought for economic reasons. Furthermore, if economic reasons and national prominence aren't the reason for our freedom, how can you make a case otherwise without lying about a nation's intent to take up arms against any nation who threatens the economic sovereignty of any nations It's all absurd if you ask me.

The fact of the matter is the purpose of the United States military is to protect the free flow of commerce between nations, as well as assuring the free flow of "oil" throughout the world and the U.S.. If commerce and oil are impeded, what is the result? It's an economy that is restricted and a restricted, deflated economy reduces our freedoms. Our professional teams can't pay their athletes the salary they make, and teams my default. Tailgater's may not be able to afford ticket prices and may not be able to tailgate because they don't have a job. People may not be able to go on vacations. People may not be able to pay for marijuana when they want to party and may feel compelled to steal from others to continue their fun. Parents may not be able to give their kid's Xboxes or Playstations for Christmas. God forbid people not being able to pay for smartphones. How about that house you always wanted or the car you always dreamed of having. These are all freedoms we take for granted because we are able to have them today.

What do you think pays for the government today, other than the Fed printing a bunch of money on I.O.U.'s? It's oil and trade. What would happen if extremists were able to take control of the Strait of Hormuz? What would happen if the United States couldn't defend the shipping lanes connecting the United States to Southeast Asia?

I'm sorry, I understand the idealism of liberalism and conservatism alike, but the fact the extreme wings of these ideologues do not understand these realities, now will they attempt to make themselves study these realities is frustrating to me. The fact each side is enabled to submit a narrative on society and the establishment allows this to be construed as the critical argument is asinine to me. I doubt there will ever be a point in my lifetime where the "truth" will ever overcome the propaganda of whomever wants to subvert the truth. The life in which I face daily, besides my personal issues, is totally fraudulent.

This post was edited on 11/14 12:48 AM by JayStew

Attached article

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News