ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Thoughts on the defense and the two-deep

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
We are officially past the halfway point in fall camp and the team is coming off their first official scrimmage.

In practice there are times they do controlled scrimmages where there is contact, and they get a chance to evaluate players.

Based on the early part of fall camp, here is how I see the defense and the depth chart shaking out. Obviously, there is still more work to do, and players can make moves up and down the depth chart.

The biggest battle right now for all positions on the team I believe are at defensive end and the back-up linebacker spot.

DEFENSIVE END

I have Jereme Robinson and Hayden Hatcher as the starting defensive ends. Behind that is where one of the biggest competitions is ongoing.

Have heard Dylan Brooks, Austin Booker, and Patrick Joyner are all fighting for that spot, and it is likely a couple of them could rotate to start the season when they give Hatcher a break. There is also a chance Brooks and Booker could slide over and back-up Robinson depending on the situation.

Davion Westmoreland is in the position behind Robinson, but I think they are going to let players battle it out. This position will be fluid at the back-up position.

Have heard positive things about Ron McGee in the transition from tackle to end. I watched him in practice for a while and I think McGee can provide some size in run stopping formations. I just don’t know if he’s the type of player who can get in the backfield.

DFEFENSIVE TACKLE

I feel strong about the top four here. The first unit will be Tommy Dunn and Devin Phillips. Following them is D.J. Withers and Gage Keys. I believe those four are locked up.

The good part about the defensive tackle position is if there are injuries, I think Panagos can go to Caleb Taylor as a solid back-up coming in at the fifth spot.

LINEBACKER

Normally I would list the first three and the second three at linebacker. But in this case, I have a top four and then everybody else.

The first four are Craig Young, Rich Miller, Taiwan Berryhill, and JB Brown. With Berryhill missing practice time it has given JB Brown a chance to get more reps, and this might end up being a good thing.

The other piece of news here is how Berryhill and JB Brown are working at different LB positions. The linebacker group is setting up where several players can go between MIKE, WILL and the HAWK.

Young can play the WILL and HAWK, so there are going to be ways Chris Simpson can mix and match.

The next group of players is Jayson Gilliom, Alex Raich, Tristian Fletcher, Cornell Wheeler, and Logan Brantley. This is probably the most contested spot on the depth chart. I don’t know how many linebackers they will take on their first travelling squad, but some decent players aren’t going to make it.

These next two weeks are going to be important in rounding out the back-up group.

CORNERBACK

Keep an eye on Damarius McGee here. Some rumblings he has played well and showing signs of being someone who will be in the two-deep. Good battle brewing with him and Kwinton Lassiter.

The top three to no surprise are Cobee, Mello and Gervin.

I’m giving a slight edge here to McGee and Lassiter moving up to the two-deep. I don’t know if Jacoby Davis and Jameel Croft will get in the two-deep at any point early on. But I have heard they have had good moments and I get the feel Croft is someone who has shown real flashes of what he can do.

SAFETY

The top four here shouldn’t come as a surprise with OJ Burroughs and Kenny Logan followed by Marvin Grant and Jalen Dye. I look at Grant and Burroughs as a 1A and 1B.

I have watched Akili Hubbard and he has a great frame, but he got in late. Mason Ellis is back in the third group and will have a bigger focus on helping with special teams to start the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News