ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thoughts on DL recruiting- Tuesday, June 20

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I am going to start with the latest developments and a lot of them have to do with the defensive line. There are still a lot of possibilities that could play out and there is much information I decided to do a daily update on the DL position because it warrants its own story.

There are two new names to add to the watch list. One is Witt Edwards a DE from Oklahoma. In the beginning of his recruiting a lot of people liked him as a TE but everybody is looking at him as a DE. He is set for a midweek visit that starts on Wednesday. I know Taiwo Onatolu has been on him for a while but Edwards is hard to pin down. For instance last night he told me his 7-on-7 team might have an event starting Thursday so the visit is up in the air. But for now, he is on the visit list.

Another new name in the mix is Tyler Simmons, a 6-foot-4, 260 pound DL from Windermere Prep in Florida. Jim Panagos is recruiting him and he is expected to start his visit on Friday. Simmons has visited Northwestern and Virginia. He also has offers from Columbia, Princeton, Harvard and Ivy League schools.

I think we could hear something on Xavier Porter as early as today. There has been some talk he was going to sit down with his family last night and go over recruiting. Everything I have been told it is a two-team race with KU and Louisville. There was a rumor that NC State could be a late visit, but I don't think that will happen. I have no idea which way he is leaning. I have heard he liked the Louisville visit a lot.

I really believe time and available scholarships could be a factor in the DL recruiting. Take Chima Chineke for example. He has visits set with Oklahoma State and Iowa. The word is Texas Tech filled up at DE with the addition of Charles Anderson who visited KU two weeks ago. KU will get a visit from Temerrick Johnson this week who also visited Oklahoma State. Joseph Anderson is set to visit Iowa this week. Anderson visited KU on June 9th and the Jayhawks are still in the mix for him. His focus has been on the national track scene and he has been hard to get a hold of.

Elias Williams is still on the list who visited last week but wants to take all of his visits. There are some believe he could end staying close to home and go to Central Florida.

Dakyus Brinkley is still very much in the picture for KU. He is being patient with his recruiting. I know he liked his visit to KU. He told me the coaches showed him a lot about the program and he clicked with Tristian Fletcher his host.

This weekend DJ Warner will visit from Desert Edge. He will make the trip with his teammates Aundre Gibson and Jonathan Kamara. The plan is he sees why his teammates chose KU and that helps. But Warner is not going to be an easy get. He starts a midweek visit to Washington today and the flies to KU. He has visited Texas and Oregon State.

The staff is looking for two high school DE and one inside player. As you can see from all the combinations it is like a puzzle trying to figure out the possibilities. But some schools are going to fill up. Like Iowa and Oklahoma State. At some point I think time could be on KU's side because they are going up against good schools, but those schools only have some many spots available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News