ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Thoughts as Jayson Gilliom picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: This is a recruit if he committed in the late spring it would catch more attention. The fact is the Kansas staff has been recruiting him since March and has been on their board for a while.

In the beginning it was Chevis Jackson who recruited Gilliom because the staff felt he was good enough to get recruited at corner. Shortly after they changed their opinion to corner and that’s when Jordan Peterson came in to recruit.

As I said in a story earlier this week, he is very close with Trey Staley, who is committed to KU. They didn’t go after Gilliom to keep Staley, but it won’t hurt.

Breakdown: Gilliom will be an interesting study because of what position he plays and where he can go. He’s right at 6-foot-2, 190 pounds. His body can add more weight.

Some college recruiters told him they like him as a cover corner. At one time that’s where the KU staff pegged him. But that changed to safety and even the Hawk position. He would be a good fit as the Hawk because he plays physical and likes that part of the game. And he has good ball skills to play the pass.

When you watch his film for a kid that big, he can flip his hips really well. The biggest thing I take from his film and after watching him is the fact he loves the game of football. He’s an intelligent young man and I think he has a chip on his shoulder from not getting recruited by bigger schools.

Final Take: I didn’t think they would take another defensive back. But after recruiting him for so long and watching his senior film I believe the staff didn’t want to pass on him. Unless another DB decommits I can safely say this shuts down that position in recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News