ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Thoughts after Texas game, KSU up next

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I think 26 seconds really tells the picture. This was the most down I have seen Leipold after a game. If you watch the short clip it pretty much sums up the game.

---------------

After the game I asked Jalon Daniels about no option or QB run game. He said there were times he could have run or kept it but felt the pass was open.

KU's offense succeeded because they were able to keep teams guessing and off balance. Yesterday Daniels only ran twice and they were both scrambles. There were no designed run plays.

That makes me think:
1- They are going to protect his health
2- He doesn't feel comfortable running coming back from injury

The offense was built around the ability to blend in and make defenses have to prepare for everything. If the QB run isn't much of an option it turns the offense more into a pro style. I think Jalon Daniels is talented but if Kotelnicki can't open up the full playbook then it limits his creativity.

---------------

It appeared the special teams coaches handed out pink slips during the game. Obviously they decided they have seen enough and brought in Owen Piepergerdes to handle the place-kicking and Grayden Addison to do the punting.

Borcila is 7-of-13 and his miss yesterday came at a bad time.

Leipold admitted in the post-game the field goal kicking has hurt the team when it tries to build momentum.

"The touchdown called back and we miss a field goal," Leipold said. "I think that really deflated us. You know, again, we miss now what three or four consecutive field goals and I think that really takes a lot of our team, especially in a game like this."

Vernon did not punt the ball well and two of the punts that mattered he had the wind at his back.

--------------

Sometimes we can sit back and overthink things too much. We can question effort and schemes. But if you want to torture yourself go back and watch the first half. Some of the runs Bijan Robinson made were unreal. There were times they had the hole closed and made a new one. He ran through people. He broke Kenny Logan's ankles twice on crazy moves.

There is a reason he is expected to be the first running back taken in the NFL draft.

I have no reason why he got 12 carries against TCU. They bottled him up but you keep giving that guy the ball and let him go. He will break one at some point.

-------------

Texas sat around for a year and listened to people talk about their loss to KU last year. I questioned what Texas team would show up. A team that had didn't have much to play for coming into a 35 degree day on the road.

Well, they showed up. And they played big boy football. Sometimes the team on the other side is just better and comes to play. And there are days you can't do much about it. Yesterday was one of those days.

I kept having flashbacks to 2004 when KU had a Texas team led by Vince Young on the ropes in Lawrence and could have won the game. After the game Mangino went on his famous BCS dollar signs rant. The next year KU took a better team down to Austin to play.

Texas had been hearing about the dollar signs comment for a year. And they absolutely blasted KU. It was KU's worse loss of the season.

-------------

The team has to forget about that game and move one. They still have a lot to play for. I asked the players about flushing that game and getting focused on KSU.

Going to Manhattan is not going to be an easy game. A night game and they will be pumped up along with a loud crowd.

I don't know what the spread is, but I have to assume it will be double-digits.

-----------

I know everyone wants to know about the future with Leipold. I just don't have enough concrete evidence from credible people to know how it will play out.

One person told me they believe Leipold is on their list and the question will be where he stands and will one or two people turn it down or take other jobs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News