ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts This could be an interesting shift in rules

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
The NCAA when they announced the Super Senior rule said they could extend it for another 2-5 years. That would at least give teams a chance to maintain a roster instead of shocking the system for just one year. Because with the portal it is going to mess with numbers.

So I was doing some searching yesterday and came upon this. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/d1/D1GOV_COVID-19ActionsforConsideration.pdf

There really isn't anyone I can reach out to verify what I believe to be true, but the way I interpret this is the Super Senior may only be in for one year.

I captured a snap shot below of the rule that is most important. It looks like the NCAA isn't in favor and will defer it to another committee.

Let's say that happens.... 2022 classes are going to be a cluster for everyone.

My numbers are only a guess but let's say for example KU has on scholarship next year:
11- Super seniors
10- Juniors
8- sophs
6- RS Fresh
27- Fresh 2020
25- Fresh 2021

Now, the asterisk comes in how many will blue shirt?

If the NCAA allowed super seniors KU would have maybe 19-20 spots to give in the 2022 class. But if they don't they will have around 10. Again this is without counting blueshirts. It also doesn't take into account attrition of players who might leave between now and then.

This is funny to think that KU's roster problems from the past could actually help them out next year in having some spots available. For your traditional programs who have always been in good shape with rosters they might not have hardly any spots to give in the 2022 class if super seniors are not voted in.

I need to have someone confirm what I read is spot on, but I think it is. Surprised this hasn't been caught by anyone.

NCAA super senior.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News