ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Summer Preview: The Wide Receivers

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Roster going into the summer: If you study the numbers there is no shortage of receivers and depth will not be a problem. By the numbers there are 12 receivers on scholarship and 15 will be in the room when fall camp starts.

Majik Rector

Trevor Wilson

Kwamie Lassiter

Tristan Golightly

Lawrence Arnold

Luke Grimm

Torry Locklin

Jordan Medley

Jordan Brown

Steven McBride

Kyler Pearson

Tanaka Scott

Quentin Skinner

Kevin Terry

Kelan Robinson

Jamahl Horne

Strengths and Weaknesses: The only, glaring weakness that I can see is the fact there are several players who have yet to put up big numbers and show they can do it consistently at the Big 12 level.

With 15 receivers expected to be on the roster when fall camp starts there will be no shortage of options for Emmett Jones. That is a good size number to work with.

Going into the off-season there were almost as many receivers on scholarship as offensive linemen.

The only other weakness I had written down was overall speed but some of that was taken care of with edition of bringing in Trevor Wilson from Buffalo.

There are six players who are 6-foot-2 or taller, so there will be big bodies as targets. They will need to find a couple receivers who can take the short throw and get YAC. In 2020 the only receiver who averaged over 10 yards after making a catch was Stephon Robinson and he is gone.

Majik Rector could be one of those play-makers in space and I had Malik Johnson as one, but he moved to running back.

Emmett Jones told me that Jamahl Horne had a really good spring. If he ever found a way into the rotation that would give them another dimension with speed to stretch the field.

In terms of newcomers keep an eye on Kelan Robinson and Tanaka Scott. I have heard Scott is much faster than expected and is legit 6-foot-4. I have heard Robinson has turned heads in workouts this summer.

Outlook: PFF grades players being average as a 60.0 grade. Last year on Kwamie Lassiter and Luke Grimm finished above that. Lawrence Arnold is coming off an injury and the coaches liked him as a true freshman.

Grimm and Lassiter are going to give you a solid combo. But sometimes you need better than solid. Neither are super-fast and that’s where Trevor Wilson will help.

I’m interested to see what Locklin and Medley can do at receiver. One source told me they think Medley would be a good linebacker over a receiver. One player who can develop into a Big 12 target I have always felt is Tristan Golightly. I’m still not sure how many balls will be going in the air this season and what kind of sets they will use.

There is a good possibility you will see more two and three receivers sets than you do four. This first year I think you will see an emphasis on playing physical and developing a ground game. That will make for a competitive fall with a lot of players fighting for what could be less spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News