Some Thoughts On The Roster

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Hey all,

After making some calls and talking to some people this past weekend, I thought this would be a good time to share just a few thoughts on the roster and where things stand. Right now, Kansas is even in terms of scholarship players. They are currently at the max and, if my numbers are correct, can't make any additions moving forward unless a player or players decide to leave.

-- I'm not really sure if Hunter Dickinson has a decision to make. To my knowledge, he's not currently listed on any draft boards and I don't see him making the move overseas with the option to return to Kansas very much on the table. He certainly has the option to test, and may very well do that, but at the end of the day, my guess is Dickinson will return to college for another season. One final run for Dickinson in a Kansas uniform is what I see taking place.

-- I don't have the best read on freshman guard Johnny Furphy, and I'm not sure anybody, outside of the coaching staff and Furphy, really knows what is going on right now. I think the common thought is Furphy will test the NBA waters and then make a decision after gathering some information. Listen, I think it's clear that Furphy, in some ways, struggled down the stretch and could probably use another season in Lawrence. If Furphy ultimately decides to remain in the draft, I would expect Kansas to make a strong push for Liam McNeeley.

-- Obviously, Kansas has Zeke Mayo, Riley Kugel, Rakease Passmore, and Labaron Philon coming in, along with Dajuan Harris coming back. Now, there was a time when I heard that Elmarko Jackson was ready to leave and the same for Jamari McDowell. A few minutes ago, I had a conversation with a source and he told me that there is room for both to return, but if Kansas adds a couple of guys on the wing/perimter, things could very well change. I'm not convinced that both are coming back, but that could very well take place.

-- For the longest time, I was absolutely sold that Zach Clemence was leaving after this season. After last season, he went straight home to San Antonio and never visited another school and never signed with UCSB. From what I understand, the plan was to redshirt this season, work on his game, get stronger, and then make the move to another school after this season. Well, as of today, it sounds like those plans have have changed. Instead of the staff brining in another big man to play behind or with Hunter/Flory/KJ, the staff already has a player on the roster in Zach Clemence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News