ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Some thoughts from Monday practice

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
The team did stretching and broke off into special teams on one field and QB/WR on one half of the other field and OL on the other half.

This is just one practice and could change tomorrow but Ruben Guzman the punter from Hawaii hit some bombs. I guess I'm used to seeing the ball come off the left foot watching Pardula for two years. Guzman hit a couple that were blasted. I bet they were 55-60 yard punts that had major hang time. I say this again it is one practice but he was kicking the ball better than Kahn. That could be different tomorrow.

Man on my it is going to be fun to watch the quarterback battle over the next several years. Willis can really throw the ball. And it looks pretty. But Stanley isn't that far behind. Stanley doesn't have the zip but his ball gets there. Stanley is quicker than I thought. I watched his feet in live 11 vs 11 and he can move.

Deondre Ford can throw it with velocity. I didn't get a chance to see him run much. Likens said the toughest decision they will have is who is #3 and #4 and he's right. I thought Millweard has looked okay. Personally I don't which way they should go yet. As far as building a program it would be great to redshirt the young kids if you can.

I like the wide receivers. Plain and simple.There is some legit D1 talent in that group and all the focus has been on the new players and I think many have forgot about who is back. I know you always like to talk about the new guys and that's human nature. The talk has been about Gonzales, Perdue, and Stanford. But you also have to remember players like Neal, Crowley, Hartzog, Harrell, Parmalee, Patrick. I think before it is all said and done there will be 11 receivers on scholarship this fall. This group has changed the most since spring.

It is fun watching the energy. Does that mean they will win more games this year? Who knows. But there is a lot of energy at practice. Hyman has a blast with special teams. Those kids really hustle. I was really worried about them because bad depth equals tough special teams. But with the recent additions there are more speed and athletes.

Beaty is very involved. That is probably the old high school ball coach in him.

I also like what they are doing with the OL. The break them into two groups so everyone gets snaps. They had what would be the one type unit working with Yenser and then the young kids working the same drills with coach Mario.

Have some good clips coming from practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News