ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Some thoughts and news from the recruiting trail

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I'm going to start in the 2021 class and as everyone knows there just isn't much room left.

Kicking it off with two defensive linemen in Mandela Tobin and Jerrell Boykins.

There really isn't a change with Boykins. I talked with him on Sunday and he's staying in contact with Drake and Les Miles. He really wants to see if they will allow visits. He said the KU staff reminds him of a big family. He said his main schools he is talking with is KU, Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss, and Texas State.

Tobin did paint a little different picture. He's talking with Uzo-Diribe a lot and has been following the program. He told me he would like to see the team show some progress. I took it as the losses aren't a good as he watches. Some recruits see past that, and some take it under consideration.

They have made a small push at an OL from Arkansas Torey Phillips. He's an athletic TE/DE but many project him to OL. The inside word is that his head coach is a Missouri guy and could be helping him with the Tigers.

One of the big losses was Keon Coleman at receiver. At least from a perception standpoint. I have heard some info from people close to him that say his first, real love is basketball. And if he goes somewhere and has any success at basketball one person told me they could see him go basketball full-time. That's where his heart is.

One thing to keep an eye on is the walk-ons the staff may target. I have been looking at some of the names I believe they have on their board. I have seen a trend of offensive linemen in this category.

Jake Eisenhauer from Salina Central is someone they have targeted and I believe offered a preferred walk on. Also watch Porter Dannevik from Lawrence High. He's a solid prospect and was offered by Air Force. And they are looking into Colorado with James Betschart from Parker, CO.

I expect the staff to keep going after walk-on prospects hard this season.

Looking at the 2022 class I have been in contact with Dylan Lopez an OL from Moreno Valley, Calif, Uzo-Diribe has been on him. He likes the Jayhawks early on.

Jay Rockwell has the KU in his top four. He's a receiver from Spring Hill High in Longview, Tex. He really likes Emmett Jones and I think KU will be in the mix. I do believe he will pick up more offers.

I exchanged some messages with Dontierre Fisher from Checotaw, OK who picked up a KU offer last night. We are supposed to talk in the next couple days and seemed excited with the offer.

Had a good talk with Cooper Roy from Springfield, MO who is among the sack leaders in the country. He's got crazy explosion off the line and is going to get a lot more attention. KU was his first offer and he said that's something that will help them.

One player I keep feeling good about is Armand Membou a local OL from Lee's Summit North. He's a unique recruit because he's never really followed college football so everyone has a blank slate with him. He really likes KU and said once the visit ban is lifted he wants to see the campus.

Brent Dearmon is working ahead and already offered Cedric Simmons a 2023 quarterback from Arkansas. When I talked to Simmons he was pretty pumped about the offer and being first put the Jayhawks in good shape. I think there is a chance he could commit early if he likes what he sees as he talks to Dearmon more. There is still a long way to go in the recruiting process, though.

Lastly let's talk transfer portal. The Kansas coaches are going to be active watching what players enter. I explained on my podcast there is so much that is already working behind the scenes all over. A college coach can't contact any player or family member until the player has been added to the portal. But what a lot of players do is tell their old high school coach they plan to leave and the coach makes calls around to schools to see if they would be interested.

I expect the staff to look at 1-2 OL types in the portal. But I don't think they would just take a body to take one. They are going to have to be someone that will fit and play right away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News