ADVERTISEMENT

SOME NOTES FROM MEDIA DAY

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- Truthfully, I was quite surprised to see Jalen Wilson at media day this afternoon. I figured, with everything going on right now, that the staff would have asked him to not participate, but that simply wasn't the case. Wilson, who was arrested for suspicion of DUI this past weekend, arrived at media day with his teammates and answered every question, and didn't back away or shy away from anything. He made a mistake, admitted that a mistake was made, and was clear about his intentions moving forward. According to Wilson, he must earn the trust and respect of his coaching staff, his teammates, and the community. He was very remorseful and extremely disappointed in his behavior.

-- Shortly after arriving inside the Allen Fieldhouse media room, Bill Self was asked bout Jalen Wilson and any possible punishment. Self, at that time, said that Wilson would miss the exhibition game, along with the first three regular-season games. Furthermore, Wilson will also commit to an unspecified number of community service hours. Self was asked about the punishment and said that he thought it was fair and that Wilson made a mistake and was quick to admit that a mistake was made and it was made because of a poor decision that he ultimately decided to make on his own.

-- I spent quite a bit of time talking to Dajuan Harris, Jr., and it's safe to say that the 6-foot-1, 170-pound point guard from Columbia, Mo., enters this season with a ton of confidence and belief. He didn't admit this specifically, but Coach Self has had plenty of nice things to say about Harris, and most, if not all, of those comments have been posted online and in various newspapers. Having gone head-to-head with a number of talented teammates this offseason, Harris knows that he's more than capable of playing at and having success, at this level. Most of his teammates have raved about his ability to hit shots from behind the arc, and combine that with his ability to get teammates involved, and Harris has the potential to have a big season for Kansas.

-- I'm not telling you anything that you already don't know, but just to be even more clear, Christian Braun absolutely despises everything about the University of Missouri. The game against the Tigers in Lawrence can't happen soon enough for Braun, the 6-foot-6, 210-pound shooting guard from Overland Park, Kan. Before transferring, his brother spent a couple of seasons playing for Missouri. His mother, aunt and uncle played for the Tigers as well. Growing up in Burlington, Kan., Braun said he grew up on the Kansas side of the rivalry and doesn't have "Tiger bone" or Wildcat bone" in his body.

-- I don't have an exact number, but it absolutely sounds like a few guys will likely redshirt this season. My guess is, everybody will play against Emporia State on Wednesday night and then Self and his staff will get together and have that discussion. To me, the two most likely are Pettiford and Cuffe, but truthfully, that's just a guess on my part.

-- No idea when Jalen Coleman-Lands will make his debut. He's dealing with an injury to his toe and is day-to-day. With Wilson out and Coleman-Lands dealing with an injury, KU's depth will be tested early on this season, especially against Michigan State.

Reactions: KU1134
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.