ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts SOME FINAL THOUGHTS FROM THE UNITED CENTER

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Check the front of the site for more coverage from the win tonight, but want to share a few thoughts here.

-- Obviously, Kansas wouldn't be here without Remy Martin. Second straight game with 20 or more points and his energy and scoring was a huge difference. He also pulled down seven rebounds and hit some free throws. The last couple of weeks, Martin has been the biggest difference for this team.

-- Kansas trailed for the first time late in the second half, but that didn't last long. Down by one point, Jalen Wilson immediately answered with a drive to the basket and he was fouled. He hit the FT and gave Kansas a two-point lead. Kansas didn't trail again the rest of the game. HUGE play by Wilson.

-- I believe it was the next trip down the court, Providence missed a three, which would have given them a two-point lead. Kansas, on the very next possession, saw Christian Braun drive to the basket and convert a layup. The guy sitting next to me said that, at the time, was the biggest shot of the game, and I agree with him. Kansas was also to create some separation and led by no fewer than four points the rest of the way.

-- If Kansas is going to cut down the nets in April, Ochai Agbaji is gonna have to be a factor. I mean, he did have four blocks and two steals tonight but scored just five points. I know that teams will continue to throw different looks his way, but he's got to be a factor moving forward. He just has to be involved on the offensive end of the court.

-- I talked about Jalen Wilson above, but he was a star tonight. 16 points and 11 rebounds in 37 minutes of action. I've got to be honest -- when Providence took the lead late in the second half, I really thought Kansas was in trouble. The Jayhawks had the Friars against the ropes, but couldn't deliver the knockout blow. When they took the lead, something just felt off. However, Wilson immediately made one of the biggest plays, if not the biggest play, of the game. He was a gamer.

-- It might be me, but something looks off with David McCormack. Not sure if his foot is bothering him or it was just the game tonight, but he just didn't look the same against Providence. In 23 minutes of action, McCormack scored eight points and pulled down just two rebounds. In all, he was 2-of-5 from the field and 4-of-6 from the free-throw line.

-- Lastly, with 3:36 left in the second game, it looks like it will be Kansas vs. Miami on Sunday. We have media day tomorrow, so I'll have more coverage for you guys.

I know I'm getting this out a little late, so I appreciate you guys allowing me the extra time. Enjoy the night and I'll be on the board when I get back to my hotel and again tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News