ADVERTISEMENT

some comments as spring football is underway

hawkdoctor

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2002
Weis and his staff were pretty good with their high school evaluations of kids in the 2014 class. The issue is 2013 was almost exclusively jucos and the high school kids in that class have been disappointing. For example, the DL kids KU signed was amazing for just one class (I'm putting Ehambe in that group).

I've seen a few people attack the talent on the roster. I think it's key to clarify that the kids here on scholarship that were recruited as scholarship kids are largely a talented group. The issue is that's quite small number. I really do think that in the first game of the year, the starting 11 on both sides of the ball will be fairly decent.

building on that previous point, I can easily see KU knocking off someone people don't expect...UT, KSU, OU, or Baylor for example. However, the depth will be highlighted/lowlighted most of the season as we see the kids simply not able to hold on for 60 minutes. I've used USC as the example for months now but look at how many times they fizzled out over the last 2 seasons in the second half of games with a roster oozing with great talent. Things will be uglier in Lawrence.

I'm curious if Dineen and Avery had shoulder issues from working out or contact? Just seems interesting that 2 guys have shoulder injuries at the same position (yes, thankfully Dineen is not a RB now but was last year obviously).

KU fans are about to be the witnesses that college football is vastly different than the NFL. Scheme means 2 completely different things in each of the leagues. I believe scheme in college football is about keeping it simple and mastering what you do. KU has mastered nothing over the last 5 years. I'm not sure that's going to be the case next season but do feel we will eventually get to that somewhat soon as Beaty has discussed repetition and muscle memory, etc.

The LB spot is bad, really bad with numbers. I had high hopes for Watson but kid is a long way away from making an impact at his current physical situation. Ogbebor surely is a lock to play since he can contribute on special teams and add depth to the LB spot.

Ehambe and Dorance Armstrong behind Mosby and Olobia next year...and if Sternberger is in that group, wow. Even this year, you have Goodman, Mosby, Olobia, Ehambe is a nice 2 deep.

I get the sense we will see an offensive line similar to that of 04/05/06 with guys that aren't all maulers (Apa is the outlier) but all moved their feet quite well and it was a decent unit. There were some interchangable parts as well that provided the OL to be better so if one guy got dinged up, they moved guys around.

Not sure people have discussed how much youth there will be at the TE/WR spots. After Coleman and Parmalee, lots of kids wanting to get their shot. Kubiak has a chance to really put his stamp on a unit.

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but has the way Beaty will select the captains been mentioned...team vote, his decision, staff's decision, etc? I've felt this was an under valued aspect of things. When you put Cozart in a leadership role last year, it was too much. The leaders need to be dudes you know will be on the field. I think other than Cummings, it's hard to say who exactly that's going to be across the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News