ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Shad Dabney picks KU, what it means

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: I had a long talk with Dabney on Friday night and thought he might be close. I knew The staff was on him and making a push at him. I was going to have a story on him this afternoon based off our interview, and then he decided to break the good news.

Chevis Jackson has been working him over the last 3-4 months according to what he told me. They built a good relationship and they talk about a lot of things other than football.

I think Dabney is one of the better pick-ups that would have been left on the board. He told me it really came down to KU, Cincy, and Syracuse. One of the things he mentioned to me was the opportunity to play.

Dabney’s name came up quick and I know it came out of left field, but he’s been talking with Jackson for some time. There was some belief with people who have followed him Syracuse was the leader.

Breakdown: He plays on both sides of the ball, but his future will be on defense. He fits the mold of what most the corners the Jayhawks have been going after. They play some man and cover two in his defense. The one thing that stands out to me the most is how physical he plays. He isn’t afraid to come up and lay a hit.

He does a good job in turning and running with receivers. One of the things Jackson told him he likes about his game is his length and the way he gets in and out of his breaks.

Final Thoughts: This really makes the recruiting picture clearer. Dabney is a true corner so that takes another spot and I think it closes out that position. What is left is finding a safety. Now, I say this under the current assumption they won’t be granted any spots after the NCAA committee met yesterday.

For the defensive backs it comes to James Wright or John Howse, and possibly both if it worked out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News