ADVERTISEMENT

SEC/KU-MU/ $$/ Strategic Thinking?

jayhawk1000

Redshirt freshman
Feb 5, 2003
Let me say first of all that I would personally much, much rather see KU end up in the B1G or in a strong, expanded B12. That said, we know that the SEC thinks strategically and are greedy, if nothing else, and that all the war maneuvers over football will at some point be done, and then the attention turns squarely to hoops. If you are playing several moves ahead at the chess game, then maybe the SEC sees an opportunity to get a pathetically underperforming MU going and lock in a Blue Blood basketball program to go with Kentucky, Florida, maybe Auburn before the B1G does?

You have to think that MU joining their conference is currently viewed as a major disappointment in every respect (low ratings, poor attendance, not much interest on anyone’s part)…. In fact, the only thing that moves the typical MU fan away from their front lip dip and whiskey at this point is the possibility of playing us and then melting down about it on the Tigerboard…..So, the SEC invigorates a moribund MU program, picks up a very strong academic school, paves the way for a tremendous basketball conference and tournament, gets one of the top 30 athletic program revenue schools, locks in the KC TV market pretty much completely and re-invigorates the KU/MU rivalry along with UT/A&M, UT/OU, etc. all in one move…..

From KU’s standpoint, the $$ are going to be fantastic (which is apparently the real point of all this stuff), the football recruiting angle is probably a positive, and it would be a fun basketball conference. Why would the SEC let the B1G dink around, take their time and pick up all these great programs? I frankly hate the idea, but it may be more of a possibility than is being discussed. And I guess I’d rather go to Athens in November than Piscataway….

Just a thought

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News