ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Saturday morning recruiting thoughts- 9:38 a.m.

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Although the spots remaining are starting to decrease there are still a lot of possibilities.

Here is the latest what I am hearing, my thoughts and rumors from those connected in the recruiting world.

I am going to start with Nick Marsh. One of the nation's top wide receivers is on campus at Michigan State this weekend. Marsh was committed to the Spartans until backing off this spring. A source I spoke with recently talked with a staff member at Michigan State and their feel is they are still in a good position with Marsh.

One source told me Pitt is still trying to get in the mix and is coming up with an NIL package.

Isaiah Marshall and Jalen Todd are both putting the sales pitch on Marsh. Marshall told me he had a good visit and he thinks KU and Penn State are at the top.

"I know it's kind of neck-in-neck between us and Penn State," Marshall said. "I'm still talking to Nick. But Nick said he loved it a lot. He said he had a real great time. As of now, it's between us and Penn State. I want to try and push him to commit, and me and Jalen are trying for sure, because we know Nick personally."

I give Marsh a lot of credit because he is not talking to anyone about it and keeping things close to the vest. I have heard he's hard for coaches to get a hold of. His mother is handling a lot of the communication with the coaches.

Penn State has picked up two commits at WR but a source close to Penn State said they will always have room for Marsh. I don't know if those two commits change Marsh's view of Penn State's situation. I was told that Penn State will take up to five WR in this class and Marsh is considered in their "plus one category". One source close to Penn State told me the coaches at PSU think it is between them and Pitt.

So, who knows at this point.

-------------

I believe it is a two-team race with David Abajian. From what I hear Cal may be out and it is down to KU and Oregon State. The last information I got is it is too close to call and a 50/50 battle. He doesn't plan to announce until July. He has completed the official visits he will take in June.

-------------

The defensive end recruiting is hard to handicap and like I said on the podcast the best thing might be for other schools to fill up their spots. Take Iowa for example. Joseph Anderson and Chima Chineke are both in Iowa City this week. Oklahoma State is in play for Chineke and Temerrick Johnson who is at KU this weekend. Nebraska is pushing hard for Anderson but they won't wait. Since Anderson visited Nebraska they've had several DE takes visits who are undecided.

The same situation for Dehsawn Warner. Texas is brining in several DE. Washington has two visiting this weekend.

You see where I am going with this. At some point other schools are going to fill up and that could help KU. There is nothing with getting a quality player because another school didn't have any spots.

Elias Williams is visiting Missouri this weekend and I just don't have a good feel where KU sits with him. My gut instinct tells me they aren't at the top.

Louisville has emerged as the front-runner for Xavier Porter and I expect him to announce for the Cardinals in July.

Dakyus Brinkley is an interesting situation. KU is the only visit for the four-star DE and that was June 9. He hasn't taken any other officials. After talking with him I get the sense he is going to push his recruiting into the season. If he doesn't you have to think KU is near the top since they are the only visit.

I really believe the best bet right now is Warner. I have good feel about him in large part due to the Desert Edge connections. A little piece of info this weekend the co-head coaches at DEHS Marcus and mark Carter are also on the visit to KU.

Warner left Washington and Texas without committing. But I never thought he would commit until he took all his visits. He has two teammates committed to KU and one of them is his cousin Aundre Gibson. Peterson has done a great job at the school and I feel that a lot of factors are in KU's favor.

------------

I think Willie Goodacre will come down to KU and Syracuse and I think he could go either way. That's why he said he will make an announcement on Monday. He knows he has a good situation and if the KU visit puts him over the top I like where the Jayhawks sit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News