ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update: Wednesday June 5th

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Today starts the camp season as the KU coaches will host three camps on campus and attend other camps off campus. They have already been to a few camps and one of the big ones was in Detroit. They have an organized camp where they invite hundreds of players from the area schools, giving college coaches a chance to see everyone in the same place.

I don't expect the camps to be loaded with prospects. Most players with offers won't attend and with the new mega camps it has taken away from the on campus college camps.

David McComb told me he will be at the camp and then spend a couple nights in the area before starting his official visit. His brother Colton, a 2027 prospect will be there.

Speaking of players with younger brothers Garrison Utley will attend the camp. He plays on defense and his brother, Harrison just reported to campus to join the program.

Andrew Williams, an OL from Kirksville (MO), told me he will be in attendance. He picked up offers from KSU and Iowa State.

Ian Premer, TE from Great Bend, told me he will be there. He already hold offers from KU, KSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska and several others.

A player I will watch is Conlee Hovey, a TE from Louisburg. He's a good athlete and I think he will look good in a camp setting.

Joseph Credit, a LB from Texas, just confirmed to me he will go through camp. He has picked up offers from Ole Miss and Oregon State.

I expect this to be the best camp of the three from what I am hearing.

------------

They are going to take three TE in the class and one spot is taken with Leyton Cure. Joeseph Skipworth will visit this weekend and I have had the feeling the Jayhawks are in the lead. I got a little thrown off when he told me yesterday he added a midweek visit to SMU that will start today. It will be interesting if he takes his other visits after KU. If he does then I read the situation wrong.

-----------

Brandon Schmelzle was supposed to camp today but he told he fractured his foot at state track and can't make it. I think the staff wanted to watch him to see where he might fit on the defense. His official visit is still set for June 14.

-----------

The defensive tackle is one that I am watching close. I am concerned with Cameron Brooks visiting Illinois this weekend and KU next. But I have heard he is telling coaches he wants to take his visits before deciding. I am curious if the Illinois staff will press him to commit.

Another one is Brad Fitzgibbon. He has maintained he will take visits before making a decision. He stayed true to his word after visiting Michigan State and they tried to get him to commit and he did not. He will visit KU this weekend followed by Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News