ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update- Memorial Day- 9:28 a.m.

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
At this point the staff could go 0-for-3 or 3-for-3 and neither would surprise me.

Going to start off with Dean Miller and my thoughts. The one advantage I felt KU had after his visit is how solid the staff presented the program to Miller and his family. He told me he is the youngest child so his parents want a great support staff and know he will be taken care of.

They got that feel with Kansas.

But talking with people I am getting the feel they will get that with Indian and Tom Allen. I was told by people who know Lance Leipold and Allen they are very similar in their approach. They are both organized and are good with building culture and come off good to recruits and parents as solid people.

I was told Allen will have a good plan for Miller because he is a defensive coach, so he will use that to his advantage. Indiana is selling him on their "Bull" position which is a rush end.

This is going to go down to the wire and I expect a decision within a couple days.

---------------

It is human nature to throw in the towel with Savion Herring visiting Tennessee and assume that's where he will end up. And he could commit to Tennessee but KU is still in the running. Herring told me he told the KU coaches is visiting Tennessee to compare it to the KU visit.

He could leave there are decide to be a Vol but his mind is far from made up going into the visit.

KU still has some angles they are playing. His old high school coach has been leading his recruiting behind the scenes and he is long time friends with Rob Ianello. In all honesty I think it was connections that got him to drop Iowa State for the KU visit. And he is childhood friends with Eddie Wilson.

I don't know where this one will go, but KU is still fighting and in a position to be in the hunt.

---------------

I believe it is a 50/50 battle with Andrew Johnson the OL from San Diego Mesa. I have heard stories that Oregon State doesn't know if they have a spot open but are making one to get him on campus this summer. At first they were recruiting him with the thought he might be a December player for next year.

But KU can take him now so I think Oregon State is trying to play that game.

I go back to this again, but the staff made a good impression with his mother. That is one strength this staff does. They are very honest and straight-forward. They don't throw a lot of fluff at parents.

I think this is another situation we could hear something in 48 hours.

I am hoping the connection with Fuchs and the fact they have been studying the wide zone scheme he ran at Buffalo pays off.

---------------

I'm being greedy here and I want all three recruits. I think Herring and Johnson can help the OL and Johnson might be someone who uses the redshirt and then has three years to play.

Herring can come in and give snaps this year although I think it will be a back up role. Going into the late recruiting season the most important position (other than safety) was finding players on the OL. The second team OL is my biggest concern on the team.

I want Dean Miller because he has been one of my favorite targets and I have made that known. I think his upside is huge. I think he can play at 245-250 pounds and keep his speed. He's explosive off the edge.

---------------

April and May were the months for transfer portal and juco transfers and June will be the month for high school players. This is how I think you will see recruiting play out in the future. Coaches will use the spring to shore up the roster with older players.

Now that you can take officials in June, that has sped up and high school players want to try and get their decisions out of the way before their seasons start.

I expect the staff to target between 10-14 official visitors for June. I believe more will come up on the radar and they spent May on the road trying to line them up.

Going forward I will have to wait and see how they do things because it will be a mix of high school players and transfers. That is how you will see a lot of programs do it. The portal is changing the way most teams recruit.

Coaches will use the first half of their regular seasons to see what positions they need to attack the portal. From here on out we will see high school and transfers be a mix of the class.

Talking to people I expect at least 25 new players to fill out the roster in the 2023 class and that will come from different areas. I don't think they have 25 open but by the time players transfer I believe they will be very close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News