ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Notebook: Tuesday, June 28th

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
The Jayhawks are officially back in the hunt for Guerlens Milfort.

I had a chance to talk with him last night and he has been focused on schoolwork this summer, lifting, his high school team and working through recruiting.

He took an official visit to North Carolina State and his visit to Pitt was canceled. Pitt took the DL they needed and filled up.

Through all of the early recruiting although he didn't visit Kansas, he has been in contact with Jim Panagos. Give credit to Panagos who has been on him from the beginning and always stayed with him.

"Oh I talk to him all the time," Milfort said. "He's a good person and a really good coach."

This year Milfort qualified for the state power lifting championship and spends a lot of time with that.

The dead period is going now but said he does plan to take a visit to KU.

"Oh yeah I plan to visit there," he said. " I was supposed to be there this summer but my schedule changed. I'm going to make sure and get down there to them."

-----------------------

The next seven days the recruiting watch is on for three players.

Calvin Clements told me he is set to decide this week and could be as early as Thursday based on our last talk.

Also Logan Brantley could announce his decision around the same time.

Defensive lineman Bear Anderson is expected to announce something on July 4th.

I have put in a FutureCast for both Brantley and Anderson. My concern was they both take a visit somewhere last weekend, but by all accounts it doesn't appear they did. The fact Brantley canceled his visit with in-state Colorado to me what gave the indication to put in a forecast.

Most believe Clements is leaning to Baylor but it doesn't sound like he's given them a verbal commitment yet.

----------------------

Keep an eye on my sleeper prospect Blake Herold from Iowa. He visited for the Friday Night Lights camp and I think he is an offer guy. I said that in my Friday Night Lights report.

I talked to him last night and he liked working with the KU coaches. He is a sleeper that I think would pick up offers if other schools saw him. He said he only camped at North Dakota State and North Dakota a week ago and they both offered right after camp.

At KU's camp he was right at 6-foot-4, 244 pounds. I saw him run, and he can move. And I think he's going to grow into his frame and will be a monster. I think he could play at 260-265 pounds. He has been playing LB and just started playing DE a few weeks ago. he is one of my favorites right now and I have to think the KU staff is taking a close look at offering him.

He told me he plans to visit KU again in late July when the dead period stops for a week before it begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News