ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class Thoughts

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
I think @jkrenger made some good points in the Zenger thread about the recruiting class, so instead of going with a long winded response there, figured I would start a thread for a long winded response and see what others are thinking so far - what's your opinion so far and how do you see the class ending (not necessarily who)?

I think it is an interesting class in that it probably won't be a huge class as I imagine some of the walk ons have earned scholarships that came to the team this offseason. Not really concerned with who earned them, but do think we are looking at a smaller class because of them. I have thought for a while that the 2017 class would be more important to the overall turnaround than the 2016 class, but this 2016 class I think will be a very important complimentary class to what we have on the team. I also think this class won't truly be complete until the next season starts...because of walk ons and potential transfers...so let's split this up into tree parts...

Commits/Future Commits
Now let's go ahead and get one thing out of the way right away - if we land Amani Bledsoe I think it is huge beyond just his commitment and makes this class exceptional...because you are looking at KU landing it's highest ranked recruit in the Rivals era out of HS in Beaty's first year during a pretty bad year. That would be pretty incredible...

Looking at who we have committed, I see a pretty strong core of difference makers on the defensive side. Kyle Mayberry is my favorite commit and I think this kid could be a big time contributor from day one. You have a guy like Maciah Long that has incredible potential, such that if he out grows the LB position he could be on the DL similar to what you have seen TCU done in the past...but if he stays at LB even better. Ian Peterson has speed for days and can really hit from the DB spot - get Bledsoe and that is a core of kids you can build around and will help what we already have on the team. On offense, I see pieces that fit the mold of what they want to do - fast athletic OL, fast receiver. Speed will be a premium for that side of the ball.

As for what we could see in the future, it sounds like we will pursue some JUCO DTs - I am absolutely for this as we have to fix up the middle first. A guy like Stephan Robinson would be a great addition to what we already have at DB. I truly think we can get a quality DT. Then you have Reggie recruiting RBs....I wish we have some more spots, but I think we are looking at a pretty solid complimentary group...

Walk Ons
This will be another big walk on class, IMO. The state is down with respect to overall HS talent compared to the past few years, which actually may end up being very helpful for the staff. It allows the staff time to develop/fix some in state relationships. The other thing is that while the top talent isn't there, there is some solid mid-level talent. There are some guys out there that I think can be contributors and we have a chance to get as walk ons. I have been keeping a list of names I would legitimately like KU to pursue as walk ons, while noting that may not be possible for some of the guys, and it is over ten guys locally. I think KU will get some solid walk ons and some of those walk ons will earn scholarships down the road...they will be a big part of this class IMO and we won't know about them until next season

Transfers
We are beginning to look at a very interesting set up for college football next year and it is because of that that I think we will be looking at adding a couple of transfers, possibly as blue shirts. Just some complete hypotheticals that I have no idea if they are or will be remotely true. Is it possible some some guys aren't currently happy with their playing time and looking to transfer? Is a guy like DaMarkus Lodge, who Beaty got to originally commit to A&M and is from Cedar Hill (aka Joey McGuire), happy with his 1 catch season so far at Ole Miss? Is 6' 7" WR Frank Iheanacho happy to not even be on A&M's 2nd team right now (note he was also HS teammates with Bobby Hartzog)? Then there is all of the coaching moves going on. Would a guy like current true freshman starting center Tyler Moore want to move back closer to home (KU was his last visit before going to Minnesota, HS teammates with Dorance Armstrong and Maciah Long) depending on who Minnesota hires?

Those are just some random examples and may not be remotely true at all. But if someone like them became available and were interested in KU, could KU turn that kind of talent down? These are some guys, like walk ons, that we may not know about until next season.

All we have been hearing about since Beaty has taken over is patience. It sucks, but it is true - we have to be patient. That will hold true for this class as well IMO. We will know who signs in February...but we won't know who all is really a part of this class until next August IMO...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News