Ranked Choice Voting (RCV)

Discussion in 'The Slant Political Board' started by nick77, Nov 9, 2019.

1. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maine passed it recently for all it's statewide elections. NYC just passed it, joining several other communities.

You rank your choices of all the candidates in the order you want them. All ballots are tabulated the first time and if no one gets more than 50% they drop the candidates with the lowest total of 1st place votes and then they distribute votes for their second place candidate. After another retabulation of votes they can check to see if anyone gets 50% and if not, they drop the next person with the lowest total, rinse, repeat until someone meets the threshold.

This eliminates strategic voting and ultimately delivers the will of the people. Conservatives don't seem to like it because the electorate is getting more and more progressive by the day and these systems tend to deliver more progressives like today in SF where the candidate that Bernie endorsed for D.A. just surpassed the establishment candidate in the tabulation.

One of the Republican congressmen in Maine filed a lawsuit because he got voted out. He claims RCV is not constitutional. He lost and decided not to appeal to SCOTUS.

2. 2000Jayhawk

2000Jayhawk Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

3. kennethku

kennethku Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

half the voters dont cant name the top 5 candidates

nick77 likes this.
  4. RMHawk

RMHawk All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There’s an easier, and IMO, a better way. It’s the old fashioned runoff election. If no candidate gets to 50% plus one, the top two voter getters are on the ballot for a concluding election within 30 days. Much less confusion and fairer of determination of winner.

5. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Much costlier. It's incredibly hard for many people to even show up for one election as is. I get there is mail in voting in some places though. Most would understand that you simply rank your candidates in your order of preference.

6. RMHawk

RMHawk All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That system potentially lets a third place candidate go past the second place person in the initial election. Don’t like that.

7. viviajm

viviajm Ring of Honor
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm okay with this for local but not national elections.

8. nick77

nick77 All-Conference
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It changes the dynamic but it ensures someone ultimately wins with a majority, not a plurality.

What if Biden is the nominee and I just can't - I can't endorse that. What if I lived in Wisconsin or Michigan or FL? I could put the Green Party candidate as #1, then Biden #2.

There's many times a Libertarian candidate spoiled the Republican because it was fragged. JT Mentioned Terry McAuliffe in another thread. He only got elected because exactly that - the conservatives in general was the leaning of the electorate at the time, but the Libertarians spoiled it.

"Strategic" voting is terrible. The only strategy one should have for voting is that selecting the best person that fits your beliefs. Not voting the third best person in a crowded field because they are "safe" or "more electable down the road".

That's just nuts.