ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on roster news

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
When Beaty first said in the spring Avery and Coleman were suspended I thought (1) this isn't going to end (2) man, does this hurt the roster which is already thin.

I thought in the spring Coleman was the best WR on the field. He certainly had a high ceiling but it just never materialized. Avery carried the load at times and I thought he had a bright future. So it does hurt the roster to officially know they are gone.

The Jake Love news really hurts. The LB group isn't deep and Love was a steady Big 12 player. But the big thing was his leadership he brought. He is well liked and respected by his teammates and I thought he might be in the running to be the captain. I know in a recent question I asked on the boards some picked Love to be one of the three players to represent KU at Big 12 media day.

If KU had 82 players on scholarship this news might be taken different. But the facts are they don't. They are well below that. They just can't keep taking body shots like to this roster without it having an effect. The margin for error is slim and they can't lose many more players who were already on scholarship.

I’ve always said any news that comes out in June-July usually isn’t good news. Hope for a quiet and calm and July unless it is a commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News