ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Quick thoughts and updates on recruiting

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First off just the things I have been hearing how this staff attacks recruiting reminds me a lot of the detail Mangino and his staff put into it.

With Mangino there were long hours of evaluations with recruits that included character references from a lot of people. I remember talking to Mangino off the record one time and (I think he was joking but I get the picture) they talked to the high school janitors, neighbors, the pastor at church, etc. Those were his exact words. They wanted to know everything about a kid they could because sometimes they were looking for that needle in a haystack like Chris Harris, Derek Fine, Marcus Henry's, all the kids they succeeded with that were under-recruited.

From what I am gathering there is a lot of time and detail these guys spend. I still remember the stories of coaches under Mangino driving home at 10 p.m. on a non-recruiting weekend talking about the hours they spend breaking down recruits.

How Miles and his staff approach recruiting it reminds me of a lot like those times.

This staff was all over the country the last 10 days. I also think they are doing extra work trying to get prepared if there are more scholarships that become available. I have only heard rumors about them possibly trying to get more.

I don't know the basis in which they are attempting to do so. These are discussions that are held behind closed doors. Over the last couple years there have been players like Matthews, Bean, Dixson, Ribordy, Durley, Lott (still uncertain) who have been medical redshirted and their careers have ended. It could be possible they are trying to use how many players have been lost from an already depleted roster and there is no way to catch up.

I have had several people ask me how that process works and I don't really know. And I don't know any details how long something takes and what the precedence is. No one has confirmed it is in motion but there is enough smoke to believe something is being attempted.

Even if they are able to recoup 2-3 recruits that would be a big gain. Only time will tell how that plays out. My guess is that could be a reason there aren't many official visitors set up for the next two weekends. You really can't bring in many recruits if you currently have three spots left and that go to two if Fitzgerald commits.

Speaking of Fitzgerald it will be interesting if he does commit. Then to watch over the next couple weeks if that ups the ante for another P5 school to reverse course and offer him.

Something else I heard of the spots we know (three for sure left) is two would be for defense. I wonder if that would change because if someone like Gardner wanted to commit I would think you take that one.

I'm very impressed with this staff and not just the on-field coaches but the people they have hired in a non-coaching role based off the things I have heard about many of them.

The next couple weeks will be interesting. Things cooled down after the early signing day because everyone left the office until the convention. Once that was over they all hit the road. If there are more spots it will be fun because that means some new name are likely to appear.

There are already over 100 players with an offer for 2020. I wouldn't be surprised to see 150 by the first junior day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News