ADVERTISEMENT

Quick question on timeline for the Beware of "THE PHOG" banner

LTCUSARet

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2003
Lawrence, KS
Question: when was the first replacement banner hung in AFH? I know it was replaced in July 2006, but I can't find when it was first displayed.

I have this timeline.

Feb 1988: banner created by students and hung in AFH with help of AD Floyd Temple for the Feb 20 Duke game, taken down after the game.

March 5 1988: banner displayed again on Danny Manning's Senior Night, then taken down again

After 1988 Spring graduation creators offer banner to Phog Allen's granddaughter Judy Morris. She contacts Floyd Temple and together they arrange for KU to have the banner on permanent display in AFH.

DATE??? The original banner, worse for the wear, is replaced by a cleaner version that lacks the hand drawn appeal of the original.

July 2006 The current banner goes up, replacing the second version.
====================
Can someone please provide the missing DATE???

Thanks!

P.S. -- does anyone recall anything similar to the banner but on bedsheets -- and less colorful -- in the late 1970s, early 1980s? I'd appreciate anything on that as well.

Thanks again!

LTC

Todd Gilmore's listing of the people involved in the creation of the original banner
Concept: Todd Gilmore
Lettering: Michael Gentemann
Painting: Todd, Mike, Brad Oliver, Larry Valenza, Scott Harrison, Neal Angrisano, Tom Kippenberger, Kevin Dervin, Michael Dervin, Hank Dickenson, Eric Miller, John Robinson, Mark Herschman, Todd Schnatzmeyer, and Mike Neighbors
Pizza: Eric Miller and Pizza Shoppe
Shower Curtains: Tom Kippenberger, Rob Evicker and his "friend who I don’t remember."
Sewing: Donna Griffin

LTC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News