ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Quaydarius Davis picks the Jayhawks

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: Sometimes you need a break, luck, or timing on your side in recruiting. That all played here in landing Quaydarius Davis.

Emmett Jones had been recruiting him and has strong ties to the area. Davis trusted Jones and with other big schools still recruiting him that paid off. Two weeks ago, there was about zero chance he would commit to Kansas.

But with other options not panning out and Jones persistency that changed. That’s what makes recruiting so fun to follow. Although you can say never, it can always change. When I say trust, it goes back in time to when Jones coached Anthony Davis at Skyline.

There will be talk about Davis committing to various schools and not being locked in until February. But you can’t get the signing without getting the commitment.

Breakdown: Davis is explosive with the ball in his hands and without it. In Skyline’s offense his primary position is an outside receiver. Once in a while they will line him on the inside but not a lot.

There are a lot of things he does well and one of them is winning passes at the high point. He’s only 6-foot tall but he plays a lot bigger. He wins a lot of battles for jump balls in the end zone and does it even against double-teams.

He has good speed, but wouldn’t call it top end speed. But he’s fast enough to score on long plays. I think someone like Jones will be able to help a lot with route-running, which isn’t refined.

Skyline will also use him in the backfield as a traditional running back.

Final Thoughts: Let’s face it, this commitment really wasn’t supposed to happen. Everything at wide receiver was closed. But it did happen. And no matter what your thoughts on taking a receiver are, you simply don’t pass up on a player like Davis.

At his current ranking he would be highest-rated high school recruit to sign with Kansas. It keeps the Dallas pipeline open as Davis mentioned that to me and named players like Velton Gardner and Steven Parker as an example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News