ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Predicting the two-deep: The offense, August 18th

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
We are still over a week away from getting the depth chart. Here is a primer before that happens based on what I see and hear. This may not be a two-deep at every position but how I think things stack up and who the main players are.

The team held their last true scrimmage yesterday. It wasn't a full scrimmage because it was mixed in with practice.

Offensive line: It is starting to sound like Cabeldue at left tackle and Brown at right, could be the combo they go with but there is still time left before they decide. I will admit that does bring a small bit of concern because it is something that wasn't planned and Cabeldue has spent three years at right tackle.

I think Bryce Foster is making his push and I have moved him into the slight favorite position to be the starting center. I am getting the feel he is becoming more comfortable in the offense. If Ford is healthy he should be in the lineup with Kobe Baynes.

They will release a two-deep but it really comes down to finding the best eight linemen.

1st Unit: LT- Cabeldue, LG- Ford, C- Foster, RG-Baynes, RT- Brown
Next group up: Nolan Gorczyca, Shane Bumgardner, Darrell Simmons

Gorczyca can play left or right tackle and guard, and Simmons is having a good camp. The third group would feature Calvin Clements, James Livingston, and Dre Doiron.

Tight End: I have said all fall camp this is really two guys at the top and then everyone else. Trevor Kardell and Jared Casey will highlight the top of the list. After that I heard it is a tight battle for the third spot between Leyton Cure and Tevita Noa. Kardell has been battling some bumps and bruises but he has emerged as the top tight end.

1: Trevor Kardell
2: Jared Casey
3: Leyton Cure or Tevita Noa

Running Back: Devin Neal will be the starter, but it is key to keep him healthy. Hishaw missed some practices but he looks in good shape. Behind him fighting for backup snaps are Sevion Morrison, Harry Stewart, and Johnny Thompson.

The goal here is to have Neal healthy at the end of the season. They have kept him fresh during fall camp and there should be enough depth. Stewart has looked good in camp and impressed people.

1: Neal
2: Hishaw
3: Stewart (giving slight edge over Morrison, but it is close)

Wide Receiver: I look at this as the "Big Five". There are five players who have distanced themselves in Arnold, Grimm, Skinner, Wilson, and Emilien. The player who might be having the best camp is Wilson. I reported early in camp he was showing out. That has continued through the last two weeks. The good news here is there are five guys who have stepped so there is good depth and experience. The one concern is looking ahead and some younger players are going to have to step up.

1: Arnold, Skinner, Grimm
2: Wilson, Emilien
3: Keaton Kubecka (if there is a sixth player in the mix)

Quarterback: The conversation here is who will be the backup. Right now that is Cole Ballard, but Isaiah Marshall is closing in. I mentioned this on the podcast... if they needed a backup against Illinois it would be Ballard. If they needed one against Baylor, I'm not ready to make that call.

1: Jalon Daniels
2: Cole Ballard
3: Isaiah Marshall

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.