ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Predicting the two-deep: The defense, August 19th

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
The defense to me, is the more interesting side of the ball and it is tougher to get a beat on it. I have heard lately there could be some movement and position battles are tightening.

This is the latest snapshot of how things could look as the depth chart is still a week away.

Defensive Line: I have heard the defensive tackles might have had the best fall camp of any position. DJ Withers and Caleb Taylor have put together one of the better camps of anyone, at any position.

Tommy Dunn improved and Javier Derritt started to show out more as fall camp went along. I know Panagos is high on Marcus Calvin and Blake Herold. I expect them to get snaps in the rotation. Kenean Caldwell is a name I don't hear a lot about and he played 150 snaps last season. That doesn't mean Caldwell won't have a role it is just I seem to hear about others. The good news here is there is depth and I feel quality players that hold down the interior of the line.

Last year there were five players who had 150+ snaps, so that shows you how much Panagos likes to rotate and keep fresh bodies on the field.

On one side of the defensive ends I have everything lined, up but the other side isn't as clear. Let's start with the strongside DE with Jereme Robinson and Dylan Wudke. That should be the #1 and #2 when everything comes out. Wudke was a little banged up early but has been solid. Robinson has put together a good camp. I heard Ron McGee has slowly been starting to come on and could provide some depth.

The other side is where things get interesting. I have Dean Miller as the clear leader right now. The light bulb started to come and everyone knows his story with gaining weight. Through fall camp I have heard Cole Petrus is a candidate who could run as the #2 DE behind Miller. Petrus has been in the program for a couple years and worked hard in the weight room. He's gotten stronger. Remember playing that weakside spot means more than rushing the passer. You still have to hold your lane and play the run.

In terms of pass rushing DJ Warner is the future and shown a lot of flashes in camp. I think there will be a package and situation he plays. He's explosive off the edge. I do believe Warner has moved ahead of Brinkley. I know Bai Jobe was looking good early before he was limited with a hand injury. But I haven't heard many reports where he is. He still has a cast on.

I feel good about the interior and the strongside. I think the potential is there on the weakside, but it will be a group effort.

This is a guess because I think some situations are still fluid:

SDE: Robinson/Wudke/McGee
WDE: Miller/Petrus or Warner/Brinkley/Jobe TBD still playing with cast

Linebackers: I said since the start of fall camp I had a good idea who the starters would be, but the battle to get in the two deep would be the news. I may have been wrong.

I had Taiwan Berryhill plugged in as a starter, but I think things have tightened with that spot. Jayson Gilliom had a good camp and is pushing Berryhill. I think that competition will go into the next week and I have it a 50/50 battle.

The other two spots are Cornell Wheeler and JB Brown. I have Alex Raich and Tristan Fletcher in the two deep with Logan Brantley sitting right off the edge.

For me, the starters have to stay healthy. I feel there is a drop off between the 1's and 2's.

1st: Wheeler/Brown/Gilliom or Berryhill
2nd: Gilliom or Berryhill/Alex Raich/Tristan Fletcher
3rd: Logan Brantley (sitting right on the edge of getting in the two deep)

Defensive backs: There is not a lot of surprise here. The real competition is who will come in as the second and third unit.

To be the backup to Cobee and Mello I get the sense Damarius McGhee and Jalen Todd have emerged as the backups. Todd has had a good camp and moved ahead of Jameel Croft. McGhee is healthy and put together a good spring and fall camp.

Marvin Grant and OJ Burroughs will be the safeties and it sounds like Devin and Jalen Dye have moved into the backup spots. I heard Mason Ellis is having a good camp but has been banged up a little bit. Ellis will be important because I think he can start on every special teams unit and get snaps at safety. The key is getting back to 100% healthy.

S: Burroughs/Dye
S: Grant/Dye/Ellis
CB: Dotson/McGhee
CB: Bryant/Todd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.