ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Practice Observations: Thursday, April 11th

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I get the feel for the spring showcase when they go to the scrimmaging it will be more to get the young players a lot of work. I can see a lot of the key players returning not doing much. The key here is to stay healthy.

One position that is going to very thin is defensive end. Jereme Robinson is already out this spring and now you can add Dylan Brooks injury list. His spring is over and he will not suit up. That will leave a limited group at defensive end.

This week I have heard Dak Brinkley's name come up several times talking with people. Getting on campus was big for him and he is starting to look good after arriving with an injury. But the group is getting down to where they don't have much of a two-deep.

One position I get the feel the coaching staff feels good about the future is safety. I hear Jalen and Devin Dye are showing some good things in the spring and the staff will comfortable with the opportunity for them to step in as starters in 2025. They will get their fair share if snaps this season.

I was watching the TE today and all of a sudden this is a position where they can't afford any more injuries. Hanika gave them some cushion and three players who have the ability to plat at the Power Five level. Now, the room for error is small and Kardell and Casey can't get hurt. I believe Hamm still needs more developing and I don't see Noah factoring in the race for playing time unless it is a run situation.

I give the yearly reminder don't go to the spring game hoping to solve the world's questions about KU football. It is really for entertainment purposes. I think several key players will either be held out or get limited plays in the scrimmage. It will be more of a practice and then a scrimmage setting. They will get some special teams work in. The days of the spring games are about over across the country. At this point coaches are just looking to get out healthy and then go on the road recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News