ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Portal numbers: Teams will have to start looking the juco route

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
This weekend I talked with some people at different schools. I just don't see any way there are enough good players in the portal to go around.

For instance TCU still has eight spots open. Iowa State four. KSU with six. West Virginia with four. Everybody still has spots to go and there just aren't enough Power Five bodies to go around.

Also there are a lot of players entering the portal who didn't have game action with their current schools so it is hard to evaluate them.

Over the winter there were a lot of players who had film. Look at guys like Gervin, Phelps, Gilyard, etc you could have an idea what you are getting.

I am just running the numbers on paper and I just don't know how there will be enough players to go around.

I believe the juco players have been ignored because of the portal. I think there are good players out there who would have usually been recruited in the past. I have also heard as a lot of college staffs go on the road, which is usually to recruit high school players, they will be using time to look at players to sign by June.

Just in the people I talked with there are over 40 spots available they are looking for. When I told this to one person who works in a college football department he said, "there aren't 40 Power Five quality players available."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News