ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update New Year's Eve Edition: Recruiting Thoughts

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
With coaches out of the office the last couple weeks and not expected to return for about another week, thought I would come in and give my thoughts on some recruiting things to watch for.

First off let me start with the 2021 players and lead with Conrad Hawley. I've had a couple poeple reach out and suggest if Hawley hasn't committed to KU by now, then he won't at all. That's not true. I don't know what he will do, but KU is still very much in it and I would say near the top.

His recruiting, especially for a QB, didn't pick until late. So, he is going through the process like any recruit except his window is later than everyone else's. Some college coaches didn't start looking at his film until Oct and Nov. I have no problem with the fact he's taking time and doing it right. I have heard from some people they have been impressed with how thorough he has been on the recruiting calls and the details he goes through.

He's in no rush and I think the KU staff will give him as much time as he needs. The one concern is where some staffs are going through turnover and have a scholarship for a quarterback. There could still be new suitors who come in.

------------------

I will be up front and completely honest, I don't have much of a feel for Garfield Lawrence. He doesn't do many interviews but I have gotten know his coach well. He handles a lot of it. The issue with Lawrence is everyone wants talented DL and he's really good. Matter of fact I think he would play as a true freshman.

Eargle and Drake have done a very good job with him. Coach Willis is a big fan of Eargle. But this recruiting is far from over.

Willis told me since Garfield's mom works a lot and doesn't have much of an open schedule he would bring Lawrence to Lawrence for a visit in January. He will drive him up so he can see the campus. The big positive here is his mom is a pretty big driving force behind his decision. She likes the KU staff a lot and that's a big reason he committed.

But January will be a wild ride because he's going to get more offers. And the staff is going to have to continue to recruit him.

------------------

Quay Davis is somewhat of an unknown right now. This is going to come down whether KU has a spot for him, if he's just keeping KU warm, and if other schools start filling up and he doesn't have a spot at those schools. If that's the case and some of his top options are no longer available he could be more open to a blueshirt opporunity.

The problem with Davis he didn't make a decision in the early signing period. Oklahoma State one of his top schools signed five WR in the early period. Davis didn't sound very high on OSU to me. Part of me wonders if he went slow and tried to commit and they told him they took five WR and don't have a spot. That is unless he wants to blueshirt.

Florida signed two and has a four-star WR committed. They would have room if they wanted to take one more.

I just don't think KU has room but I think they would get as creative as they could to get him if that situation arose. Davis kept telling me about trusting coaches and one thing is for sure, he trusts Emmett Jones a lot.

------------------

In terms of high school DL it looks like Lawrence or bust. From what I am gathering the staff has somewhat cooled on Jerrell Boykins. Now, I don't know if that changes if Lawrence were to start showing signs of changing his mind.

-------------------

That takes us to the never-ending saga of the transfer portal. The way I look at the scholarships available for the transfer portal are like jokers in a card game. They can be used for so many different positions and you can change what you need them for.

Right now I believe the magic numbers is two or three to take a transfer in this class. The focus is going to be on the offensive line. Then the next spot would be quarterback.

The goal from what I take is to try and get the OL in for January if they can find one. That will give them a head start going through spring football.

One of the main targets is Ty'Keiast Crwaford who is leaving Charlotte. He's a former four star recruit that new KU OL coach Lee Grimes was able to get to Charlotte. KU will be among the front-runners to land him. But once his name his the portal his phone was buzzing. The issue with finding OL there just aren't many tackles available. So, they are a premium. You have to hope the bond and experience he had with Grimes pays off.

Crawford isn't a developed D1 player yet but his ceiling is different than a transfer who is a senior/junior. He gives you 4-5 years of eligibility remaining so you are taking him with the thought he helps you now and in the future.

Another name that could be a hot topic very soon is Colin Grunhard. Once Notre Dame's season is over he is expected to enter the portal. He will get a lot of play as well. There are going to be a lot of teams looking for someone who specializes and is proven at center. Those might be harder to come by than tackles right now.

He's been part of one of the best OL in the country the last couple years and played alongside several NFL type OL. He's been through a difficult program like Notre Dame where Kelly is very demanding of his players. I have access to some backdoor film and was just watching him. He would be a two-year starter at KU.

That brings us to what will be the most interesting of all positions...and that's a transfer QB. I have said this, and I don't believe my feelings have changed. Looking for a QB is a priority but it isn't near the top of the list. If the right fit comes into play then that cou'd change things. Unless a new QB enters the portal I don't expect any QB to be taken for spring ball. The most likely option (if they take one at all) will come after the spring.

They will get a chance for the first time to evaluate and coach Jalon Daniels. Remember he didn't show until mid June and didn't get the reps Kendrick and MacVittie did in fall camp. He's never got the chance to be developed and had to learn on the job under a really bad OL.

If they get through the spring and realize they need a transfer that's when I expect them to get moving. If a QB is interested in KU, he will have to understand the summer will be the time to arrive. If there is a QB who wants to be somewhere for spring football I don't see that as an option as I type this. Things change. If after the bowls some proven commodity wants to transfer and KU is an option they can change their philosophy. But that would also likely mean taking the DL scholarship spot and using it on a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News