ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update My in-depth look at recruits left on the board

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I am going to go down the board of recruits and talk about the ones who remain and my take on each one. I have listed these in order that I feel are the best odds.

Deshawn Warner- DE- He will announce on Saturday and I have no idea what school he will pick. I don't what confidence level place on this but I feel better about Warner than anyone on the board. There are a lot of reasons. First is Jordan Peterson and the job he has done at the school. Next is Gibson and Kamara have committed to KU. Gibson is his cousin. Two coaches from Desert Edge were on the official visit. There is a lot of good going for KU in this one. But he also getting pushed by Washington, Oregon State and Texas. Let's face it KU's track record against Oregon State isn't great. Washington is a Pac 12 power and beating out Texas is rarity for the Jayhawks. The hope here is the relationships with teammates and the job Peterson has done wins out. I'm not betting any money from my next paycheck on this one, but I do like the things in KU's corner.

Tyler Simmons- DL- I think the Jayhawks made up a lot of ground with Simmons. After visits to Northwestern and Virginia I think the Jayhawks and Panagos are much in play here. The patience could be tested if Simmons decides to take a late visit in July. He didn't disclose the school he could visit but if he does I have to think he only does that if they are someone high on his list. I think KU has as good of shot as anyone but I don't know who the mystery school is.

Dakyus Brinkley- DE- This is my dark horse that KU has a solid chance with. He visited SMU and KU and the big questions is if he takes this into the fall. If he does decide to make his pick now I think KU could be the slight leader. I believe there were plans to take visits to work out with the coaches at South Carolina and Georgia who wanted to see him. But they may have cooled. The sooner the better him and he picks sooner I think KU is right there.

Nick Marsh- WR- I don't have a feel because Marsh has been very quiet and not talking to anyone. I know the Penn State feels good about their chances. The Michigan State side believes they can get him to commit again after what one source called "he had a great visit." I think KU is in the group of schools he considering but the further his visit goes the Jayhawks are going up against a strong group. Chris Simpson has done a great job with Terry Samuel. KU is in the hunt and there is still a chance I can see Marsh picking KU. But there are just a lot of unknowns because he is playing it tight with the info. There continues to be rumors the MSU NIL package is strong.

Elias Williams- DE- I don't know how to read Williams but if he holds true to his word we won't hear for a while. He wants to camp at FSU at the end of July. Other schools could fill up and so could KU. So, it will be interesting to see how time dictates this recruiting. If KU hangs around the chances will increase. The schools recruiting him Indiana, Missouri and UCF are still looking for DE. The question will be how many commit to those schools in the next few weeks.

Temerrick Johnson- DE- He plans to announce something on Friday. I believe it is between Oklahoma State and KU. I just get the feel the Cowboys are the leader. Maybe I am wrong but I think it is trending OSU.

Chima Chineke- DL- There are some rumblings he is leaning hard to Iowa and even one source believes he has given a silent verbal but will announce later. I know it was between KU and Iowa.

Michael Boganowski- LB- I have heard enough that I feel his visit to KU was very good and gave them something to think about. I just think the Jayhawks were far enough down the list before visits started to climb into contention. I don't see him at KU.

Joseph Anderson- DE- The word is the top three were KU, Nebraska and Iowa. There are rumors he has decided on Iowa but not announced anything.

David Abajian- OL- Although he is still technically on the board since he will not announce until July 4th, the word is he informed the Oregon State staff he will commit there.

Xavier Porter- DL- It was between KU and Louisville for Porter and the inside word is he will commit to Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News