ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts More thoughts on the roster and positions through fall camp

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Well, this was supposed to be a quick update on some thoughts I had by position. And it turned out to not be so quick.

As we start to officially to head into week two of fall camp here are some of my early thoughts position-by-position and where the program is.

I have said this program is going in the right direction and I believe every word I say. Things are organized and structured. I don’t remember the last time I have seen an entire group of coaches, players, administration all on the same page. Everyone is pulling in the same direction and behind each other.

I’m not going to sit here and make predictions on how many wins they will have, but I will say they are heading in the right direction. They haven’t put on pads yet and start hitting but here are some takes on each position and my thoughts.

Quarterback- Daniels is the lead guy but there are still players competing. This is just me based on some drills, but I thought Vasko is throwing the ball every bit as good as Easters or better. On Monday we talk with Leipold and there could be some things that come more clear.

Running Back- Today I talked to Devin Neal, Sevion Morrison, Tory Locklin, Daniel Hishaw, and Ky Thomas. This is a battle going and I will say my money says Neal will be the starter day one as long as he’s healthy. At some point here, maybe in the next 10 days, they are going to have to trim that list down. Hishaw, Morrison, and Thomas all are confident they are having good camps and can get the job done. This is not just a battle for the two-deep but the three-deep.

Wide receiver- I have Grimm, Arnold, and Trevor Wilson at the top of my list right now. I have heard good things about Emilien, but he is still catching up. I keep waiting for Steven McBride to make his move.

Tight End- I am starting to wonder if this is going to be a position of matchups. Meaning if they are facing an opponent, they know they can run against will someone like Tevita Noa move to the front of the depth chart? He’s a big body and playing physical. He might be the run best run blocker. I also think Kotelnicki will show us some things this year that he didn’t last season. We could see more than one tight end on the field but that will also depend on how many RB’s he wants to play. This group will not be decided until they get a couple of scrimmages in.

Offensive Line- We all know the starting five. As long as injuries stay away it will be Bostick, Ford, Novitsky, Reed-Adams and Cabeldue. I did notice Gorczyca taking snaps at center, but I think he has more developing to do. I’m getting the feel Dre Doiron and Dominick Puni are pushing hard on some of the players returning. I saw Doiron taking snaps at center and tackle. He could be a valuable player.

Defensive Line- I have said the most competitive positions are going to be LB, RB, and TE. I’m wrong. I think the defensive tackle position is going to be as high or above in the ranking of positions groups that will go down to game day. Have heard word that Caleb Taylor, DJ Withers and Tommy Dunn have had good fall camps. Throw in my expected starters of Sam Burt and Eddie Wilson that makes for a very competitive position. And I haven’t mentioned Caleb Sampson or Ron McGee. I think there could be players on the three-deep in this group who will get a lot of snaps because of the need to rotate, and the competition could make the depth chart change weekly.

The defensive end still has a way to go to get more of clear picture. I heard again that Malcolm Lee is having a good camp. So is Jereme Robinson. I listed every DE on the roster on my chart and one player who needs to show something is D’Marion Alexander.

Linebacker- I was talking to Tory Locklin today about going against the linebackers and he said they are much improved and said the guy that is hard to out-run is Craig Young. He said his speed reminds him of trying to run away from Kyron Johnson. There is no other group that has changed their overall complexion like the linebackers. I haven’t heard much about McCaskill but that doesn’t mean much because he is still getting used to the system. I did hear that Eriq Gilyard is physical and is one of the surest tacklers. Last year I was worried about the starting three. This year I feel good about the two deep, going six strong.

Defensive backs- Safety is a position that is going to be deep and will get even deeper when Jayson Gilliom returns. Last year Kenny Logan couldn’t leave the field but now there is a lot of depth at safety. That was a major need in the offseason, and I give the staff credit for bringing in DBs who have the ability to help right away. I heard some good things about Jarrett Paul.

The big thing here is waiting for the live action. That is when they can watch the guys tackle and get more physical. That’s an area where Ra’Mello Dotson is going to win or lose the #1 spot on the depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News