ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Memorial Day Recruiting Update AND CHAT

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Here is the Memorial Day recruiting update and here are is some info I have been digging up over the last two weeks. Instead of small updates I decided to hang onto everything and give one, big update for Memorial Day and we can discuss over the weekend.

Forgive me as a I have a lot of thoughts and notes and may skip around quite a bit during this update due to the high amount of info.

Okay let’s start this off with quarterbacks since that is what everyone wants to know about first. There are a few I have been in contact with over the last week.

I reported JD Head will come in to visit on June 1. I think KU is one of the top schools on his list. Then add another QB to the list with Chubba Purdy. I talked to Purdy a couple nights ago and he will take an unofficial visit either June 4-5. He said he will also stop off in Manhattan.

For those that don’t know his older brother Brock was the starter at Iowa State as a true freshman. Purdy told me he has been in contact with Koenning and Miles quite a bit. He seems to have a good feel for KU but it is too early to make any predictions.

There really hasn’t been anything new develop with T.J. Finley, the LSU commit who took an official visit to KU in April.

Another QB they have been recruiting is C.J. Stroud from California. Koenning has been out to see him, but everything I can gauge the Jayhawks are playing from behind in this one.

Jimmy Holliday is the other name I have been watching. I spoke with him earlier this week and he told me he will make another trip back to Kansas in July. He said he wants to take some other visits this summer. Since his visit he has blown up so the race for him has become tougher.

So in early June the coaches will get to visit with two of their names on the board. I think that will give them an idea where they might stand with the QBs and if they need to start adding more to the board.

One of the hot names to keep an eye on is OLB Krishawn Brown out of Booker T Washington in Oklahoma. He told me he is in the plans of setting up an official visit and could be in the weekend of June 1. D.J. Eliot is recruiting him and KU is very much in the mix.

Staying with LBs Taiwan Berryhill from Louisiana who has been a top target of the Jayhawks is expected to be in that weekend as well and it sounds like it will not be an official. So he will likely pay his own way to come up. If the status of the visit changes I will let everyone know.

Another linebacker that plans to visit over the summer is Brennon Scott from Bishop Dunne. He’s got offers from Georgia, Auburn, OU, Texas, and about 30 other schools. He will be a tough get and KU will get their shot to show him the program.

Going to move into the DE/DL/DT group. A new name to watch is Tiago Sumbo who is very high on KU he told me. Tony Hull is the lead recruiter for his area and I expect KU to get a visit. Sumbo (6-3, 295) is from Seven Lakes HS and I think will get more play from college coaches. His first two big offers were from KU and Louisville.

Another DT I spoke to this week is Kenean Caldwell from Oak Grove HS in Louisiana. Hull also recruiting him. He told me KU is a school high on his list. He has offers from KU, Miss State, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU, and several others.

Johnny Wilson is also supposed to be on campus June 1. He told me he was trying to schedule an official to KU this summer but the visit coming soon is expected to be an unofficial.

Another DE the Jayhawks are high on is Khari Coleman from Carver HS in Louisiana. Coleman told me Tuesday night he is setting up an official to KU. He’s an undersized DE but is very aggressive and although 220 pounds everyone wants him at DE.

Dontrell Cobbs is one of the recent offers the staff has out and is recruited by Hull. The Jayhawks just offered this week and Hull already has KU in good position. At 6-foot-4, 260 he can inside or out right now and has a lot of room to add weight. He could be a beast.

The Kansas staff is still keeping an eye on Jaylin Richardson from Schlagle who is picking up a lot of FCS offers. Although his film is at RB word is the KU staff likes him as a LB.

Chris Jones is another LB that holds a KU offer from Coconut Beach, FL. DJ Eliot has been on him pretty hard and although he holds some nice offers has told me he is thinking about scheduling a visit to KU.

I’m going to move into the secondary where I believe the focus at cornerback is very high with two players in Duece Mayberry and Caleb Offord. I have a good feel about both of them. I just spoke to Mayberry and he told me he is going to visit and loved the spring game. Mayberry told me right now KU is his top school.

I think KU is close to the same position with Offord. If KU can land both of them that’s a solid tandem to start corner.

At safety watch Abner Dubar from Anna HS in Texas. He has 14 D1 offers and most people think he is a heavy lean to Texas Tech. Clint Bowen has been recruiting him and Dubar told me last night he will be in Lawrence on June 1 as well.

Back-tracking a bit here to big time names Ashaad Clayton and Corey Wren it really is a waiting game. When they both visited I think there was a strong feel KU was in both of their top three. And I think that might have been the case. But with any prospects getting that kind of recruiting it won't come easy.

I spoke to a source close to LSU this week and Clayton is the top RB on LSU's board. So that's going to be a major battle right then throw in Alabama. Wren has blown up with offers coming from everywhere. Don't count out Kansas but this will be a tough road to go, to land these guys.

The June 1 camp some of the local names expected to participate are:

Kaden Cox- RB Maize
Tony Friends- RB SM East
Luke Grimm- WR Ray Pec
Reagan Jones- QB Wichita NW
Max Kalny- OL St James

Sometime that weekend I think there will be a recruiting gathering as well and I expect Jackson Stoefen, John Holcombe, Will Huggins, Quinton Stewart, Keith Miller, and Trevor Kardell to join some of the names I mentioned above.

There will also be a team camp with several local teams in attendance in June. I will find out what prospects will attend that and I have a list started on that end.

There is going to be a lot more popping in June than past years because there will be a push to get high school players on campus.

I am also tracking a couple more names to see if I can get accurate information in the next 48 hours who could also visit in June.

If you have questions ask them and we will make this thread part of a recruiting chat over the next few days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News