ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Lutheran North coach Carl Reed on KU's program

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I had a chance to speak with Carl Reed for a while about KU's porgram and his player Caldra Williford who committed to KU.

For those that don't know Lutheran North has a lot of D1 talent every year. Reed is a good guy to have on your side and believe in your program.

Here are some questions I asked Reed.

Caldra plays different positions on film. Tell me about his game and where you see him in the future:

Caldra has been a great player for us for a long time. He has started every game since he was a freshman. We've got a great program. He's been on some defenses with some really outstanding football players and outstanding teams. He can play corner or safety, and I think that at the next level he'll be a safety. But I expect him to be able to come in and contribute early on in his career. He's a really special player.

What are some things you like physically about him:

He's got unbelievable ball skills. He's got great ball skills, great covering speed. He covers a lot of ground from the safety spot. He can get you from half the sideline. He's very quick and explosive.

What were some of the reasons he chose Kansas:

Well, you got a recruiter's relationship base. Number one, I think Coach Chidera does a great job. He's done an incredible job recruiting the St. Louis area. That's number one. Number two, I've known DJ Eliot for a really long time. So, DJ and I go way back to when I was a very young coach and he's been recruited out of my school in my program for a long time. That was the comfort level there. We actually went last summer to change camp at Kansas.

You said you were impressed with Les Miles and the staff. What are some of things that stood out to you:

There was a familiarity there and Coach Miles and I hit it off in our relationship is outstanding. And so there's a comfort level there from that situation. So I think that had everything about what Coach Miles is building and what they're doing at KU was on standards. It's only a matter of time before their program tops and they get it going. People look at this season but you can't count this season. The way that everything is broken down for Coach Miles is going to have Kansas playing at a really unique level. And here come the Jayhawks.

When you visited for team camp what were your impressions of spending time with Miles:

What it was is his passion. In the end, he has a clear plan and vision for what he's trying to do and trying to build. And that's very important in the recruiting process. He's got an excellent group of coaches that have had success in other places for a long time. And so I think it's a big time situation he has going on and they're going to get them turned around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News