ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Looking closer at the KU-UNLV matchup

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
This is such a weird game to break down. The first thing I come up with is KU is not as bad as everyone feels after last week and I am trying to figure out how good UNLV is.

For starters, let me talk about UNLV. Throw out last week's game they played because that was a scrimmage. I went back and watched their game against Houston. They scored their first TD after a reverse throw by their wide receiver and a penalty. They scored their next TD early in the second quarter after their QB fumbled the snap, rolled right and threw a pass to the end zone. It looked like he was throwing at a spot to get rid of the ball but in an area it wouldn't be picked off. The WR made a great catch toe-tapping just inside the marker. Their third TD was a pick six.

They outgained Houston 308-247. They didn't march up and down the field on Houston. Sluka the UNLV QB completed six passes for 71 yards. He has some nice runs out of the RPO and scrambles. He threw a pick in the end zone where he threw into triple coverage. I really can't tell much on their OL, I know they return a lot.

Defensively they blitzed a lot against Houston. I noticed in the second half they showed some blitz and then dropped out of it. Their best player on the field was Woodard who went 11 tackles, 4 TFL, 3 sacks. He's really good at LB. Something to keep an eye on here, LB Marsel McDuffie was hurt and been limited in practice. He's a starter and their 2nd best LB. I really can't see much with their front. They play four down, but their pressure is all based off brining extra players.

We talk about teams trying to stack the box against KU, if I was Borland I would do the same to UNLV. I don't know how well the QB throws the ball if make him be in those situations. He's more a run threat. I think KU can get UNLV in some 3rd and medium and long down and distances and that's not where they want to be.

If UNLV is going to play as aggressive as they did against Houston defensively, there are going to gaps for the Jayhawks. No way can you be that aggressive and not leave holes and areas to attack.

I think up front KU can win this battle on both sides of the ball. If they can do it and control the LOS against Illinois, they certainly can do it against UNLV.

This is an interesting game because UNLV's OC will do some different things. Our UNLV writer Joe Spilotro said they have not opened up the playbook yet. But I just don't know what they can do in the pass game because I don't know that I want Sluka throwing a lot. I think this game favors the Jayhawks coming off a loss and playing in front of the home crowd after I take a closer look at UNLV.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.