ADVERTISEMENT

Local recruiting

TexasJayhawk87

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
It sounds like this guy is going to make a difference, @Randy Withers must be giddy.

It was funny when I met Randy in the FG club one game, he noted how we’d gone back and forth on local recruiting. I honestly didn’t remember it and don’t think I’ve been as outspoken as others on how some seem to really over value local recruiting. My viewpoint has always been we don’t have enough talent locally - basic math really considering population and cited often when discussing how it’s hard to win at KU - so we have to go wherever we must to get talent.

But I’d be thrilled if we could do better with local kids to build that culture of playing for KU rather than at KU. It makes sense. Hell, I’m a townie for cripes sake, Kansas born and bred. Jake may really help with that but I never want to take subpar talent just for the fact they’re local, 25/yr is precious few to build a program. But Jake knows there’s talent that should have gone to KU and I hope he’s successful and think he will be with the current staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News