ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Latest thoughts on realignment and NIL

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Last night Pete Thamel reported the talks between the Big 12 and Pac 12 broke down and the two sides are no longer talking.

The most interesting part there was reported interest from the Big 12 on merging conferences but the Big 12 wanted to have the weekend to look things over. From what I think happened is over the weekend the Big 12 formed the opinion they are in a stronger situation to either be patient and pick up specific Pac 12 teams later. And if that doesn't work they feel they are in a stronger conference when things change over than what the Pac 12 will be with their leftovers after USC/UCLA leave.

I also believe from what I hear they didn't get enough positive information from the TV networks execs over the weekend about the dollars it would be to merge.

I expect the Big 12 to continue backdoor talks with certain Pac 12 schools to see if they will break away. I spoke to one source late last night who said, "The Big 12 holds the upper hand over the Pac 12. If I was the Pac 12 I would be concerned."

A couple days ago I spoke to someone who said he doesn't know if the Big 12 payout will be what it currently is. This person said with OU/Texas leaving there will be a drop-off but there will be value with the population bases and added new schools. But the four schools won't bring the value combined what OU/Texas did as two schools. Then you have to divide the pot by 12 teams and not 10. The Big 12 distributed $42 million to each school and that number is expected to rise in the 2023 payouts.

This person who has negotiated media rights at the Power Five level said when the new schools come in the payout is not going to be $42 million. He thinks that will decrease for sure, but he didn't have a value.

As I am typing this I had to pause because I was talking to someone who covers the Pac 12 and he called to ask what I was hearing. I didn't get a lot from him but he did say something I know a lot would like to hear. He told me he got this directly from a Pac 12 school official that with the new Big 12 they would see KU as the most valuable school.

-----------------

The Matador Club from Texas Tech announced it would pay 85 scholarship players and 15 walk-ons $25,000 per year. First off I know this is how a lot of head coaches would like to see the NIL deals work.

One source told me this morning, "that is ideal because it takes care of everyone in your locker room. Then the bigger name players can still work deals for extra money but this way everyone gets something."

I was also told the Matador Club doesn't have all the money in hand. One person said they believe they have enough to announce the club, but they will have to continue to seek donations. But now that they have announced the club there is a purpose to ask people for money. Now, there is a program set in stone they can tell people where their money will go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News