ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Latest thoughts from fall camp on the offense

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I think the offense is going to be in a good position at quarterback because what I gather Jason Bean is having a helluva camp. I think Jalon Daniels earned enough credit by how he played at the end of the season he will be the starter week one. But don't discount Bean and don't ignore the fact that internally there is a competition. You might not think there is, but there is.

That bodes well for the staff because I don't remember how many times a quarterback made it through a season without getting dinged up and having to miss time.

There is a talented group of running backs but I am putting my money down the top two as it stands right now in camp are Devin Neal and Ky Thomas. They can turn to any four backs at any time but I think Thomas is starting to put things together.

I said last time we talked about depth chart I have Lawrence Arnold, Trevor Wilson, and Luke Grimm as the starters. That is still the case for me but I am moving Tanaka Scott into that category of "I'm here to take someone's spot." I think Scott has made quite the impression over the last 10 days in camp. If he doesn't earn a starting job he will be on the edge. Steven McBride has also made strides but not shown what Scott has. Quentin Skinner has also showed well but needs to show what he can do when it counts. I had some concerns about the WR group but from what I hear it is going to be deeper than what I expected.

From things I am hearing I am giving the top two tight end spots to Mason Fairchild and Trevor Kardell. Casey is getting back in the groove after missing time and I did hear Huggins looked good in the last scrimmage.

And that takes me to the OL where this thing can go 100 ways. In a perfect world I think any OL coach would love to his starting five and then one player who can be a backup OT, backup OG and center. When the center goes down you just put the back-up center in. When the tackle goes down you go to the backup OT. But I don't think it is going to be that easy.

I think there is going to be a ripple effect when they have to start rotating players. For instance, if Novitsky were to get hurt I think right now they might go to Mike Ford to snap before the "backup center". That would then open up a spot at guard where I think someone like Dominick Puni will get a chance. Do you see what I am saying here? Right now they are cross-training players at different spots and changing so many lineups it is too difficult to predict how everything will play out when that time comes. There are going to be a lot of interchangeable parts. Puni and Dorion are the names I hear most often as the ones who will be #6 and #7.

Fall Movers- Those who have improved stock

Ky Thomas- Last year he led Minnesota in rushing and showed this fall camp what he is capable of. The top two backs are likely to be from right here in Kansas.

Tanaka Scott- Making a lot of big-time catches and showing that he can push the guys on the first unit.

Dominick Puni- Has worked at tackle and guard but getting the feel he may end up settling in at guard. He can project to both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.