ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Last night at the GCKFCA Miles, Bowen, Hecklinski spoke

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
A few thoughts from listening to all of them. First off something I took is Miles just feels more comfortable around coaches. After Miles first press conference I told people he reminded of someone who is just 100% ball coach.

Miles isn't going to give you fancy words. He's not going to dazzle a big public audience. But you're going to get the straight info. But when Miles is talking football and around football coaches he sure seems at ease.

He talked a lot about his family. I thought it was a good part of his speech. He also talked about how hard you can expect his team to play. But maybe the biggest thing was the fact he told well over a hundred coaches if you think you have a kid that is a player please call them.

He also said along with that how important it is for them to look at players who might want to walk on. He told everyone they will look at every kid.

After Miles spoke Bowen had one room and Hecklinski had the other. Miles walked around and shook coaches hands and talked to them. I thought Hecklinski and Bowen were really good. It has been a couple years since I heard Bowen speak. He's very, very good in front of a video board and breaking down defense. I had several coaches tell me after how they have always liked listening to Bowen talk. he got very technical.

Hecklinski is damn good talking ball. You can tell he's been around the block. Two things.... he has a booming voice that will get your attention and he has a loud whistle :)

I watched him more than I did Bowen. He talked a lot about TE and let me tell you he knows his position. He got very detailed from how they teach footwork and eye placement. Something I liked what he said when they get into a meeting room or the field it is important you forget about everything going on outside football. He said that goes for everyone including coaches. He was very detailed and had some clips of things his TE did at Indiana State.

Hecklinski is very intelligent. That was a very knowledgeable session he gave and when it was time to stop he said he could talk for six hours straight about football. I believe him.

The thing I took from high school coaches is they liked to hear they can call up and suggest players to the staff and the lines of communication are always open. It was a good night for KU football. It was the biggest crowd they said they will likely have all year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News