ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Lance Leipold on the Oklahoma drill

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I thought Leipold had a very interesting comment on the Oklahoma drill which is no longer allowed by the NCAA as of this year.

I can't tell you the last time I did one of that nature. I mean, there are some drills. I mean, I think often decisions, you go back from the elimination of two-a-days, or no two-a-days. I personally think we do a lot of things about the amount of live tackling and they make all these rules of percentages.

I do think there's times where we have to do physical drills, that reveal physical play and have to do it. But I don't think lining up two guys that, barely knew each other, usually with bad technique, just to try to, win a collision, so to speak is not the way to do it anymore. And I don't think many of us haven't been doing that for a long time. So I think the profession has been doing an excellent job of protecting our players over the last six years plus that I'm confident about it. And like I said to see that drill saying that can't be used, it wasn't in our school of thought anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News