ADVERTISEMENT

KUs football attendance compared to the rest of the Big 12

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
I was curious how KU compared to the rest of the Big 12 when it came to filling up the stadium this past year. I figured we would be last, but I didn't think it was this bad. According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, the average % filled compared to capacity for the season for each Big 12 team was...

KSU: 106.2%
OU: 103.7%
Baylor: 103.7%
TCU: 99.4%
Tech: 97.7%
ISU: 95.2%
WVU: 94.6%
UT: 94.0%
OkSU: 90.3%
KU: 68.1%

I know there is likely some errors with these above calculations. The capacities they used was likely off for some of these teams, the attendance for each school could have been off, etc (it is Wikipedia after all). But in general, I would imagine this is close with 9 schools around 90% or above and KU below 70%...

That's embarrassing and needs to be fixed. I know, some people aren't going to come out until we start winning again. But look at a school like ISU who has won as many games the past couple of years as we have and still fill up 95% of the stadium (a larger stadium than ours) on a regular basis.

This will fall mostly on deaf ears on this board because I think this place is the true die hards and full of guys that will be at the games this year (with the side note that I understand some people can't attend because they live far away and others that have kid obligations on Saturday mornings). But I was curious about how you think we can get more people in this stadium. It has to be done.

Does informing the public somehow about this huge discrepancy help? Does showing the collective fan base that a school like ISU, whom basketball only fans like to make fun of for being bad fans, is supporting more than we do even though they don't have a great product? Is there some way.

There are definitely groups of fans out there that can't make it to games every year for reasons above that are understandable, but there are also fans that would come if the team was doing better. We have to target those fans and find a way to get them back, even if the wins won't be there this year. I know we have some bad fans, but in general KU people are good people and fun people. We know we can get rowdy as we see it at every basketball game. We have to tap into this resource because quite frankly we aren't even in the same neighborhood when it comes to support for the football team. If we want to brag about how good of fans we are, we need to step up...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News