ADVERTISEMENT

KU vs Providence Look Pretty Even. What Do We Need To Do To Win?

embalmer

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2002
These are just my observations and opinions.
1. Och needs to get back to form and score. He has missed too many open shots the last 4 games. His point totals have really dropped. He needs to be able to hit 3's, otherwise his drives will not save us because Providence has really good interior defense.
2. We as a team need to shoot and hit open 3's. (I'm talking to you Wilson and Harris!!) We as a team lately have seemed hesitant to shoot 3's and we use to not be that way. Harris gave up multiple wide open 3 point shots only to drive the lane and kick out for a Wilson 3 point miss.
3. Play better defense! We have played pretty good defense but as Creighton showed us, our 3 point defense is lacking and Providence can light it up from 3 and get hot. They have 2 or 3 players that shoot over 35% from 3.
4. Remi needs to keep doing what he has done the last 3 games. His 3 ball has been as good as anyone and I for one want to see, the Arizona State Remi, just light it up! Like to see him hit 3 or 4, 3 pointers and he is the X-Factor.
5. David must show up to play like a man possessed from here on out. No more hit and miss play on many different levels. HE MUST DUNK THE DAMN BALL AND NOT DO THIS OLAY, LAY-IN, CRAP! Go up like a man, dunk the ball and or get to the line and rebound like your future career counts on it. If he wants any chance in the NBA he must prove his worth these last few games.
6. As a team, DUNK the damn ball, how many bunnies have we missed the last few games (TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Creighton). Dave, Och, Braun and Jalen doing too many missed lay-ins when a dunk could be done.
7. Rebound, Rebound, Rebound. Crash the glass every time on both ends. As a whole, if you look at team stats, our rebounding numbers are far better than theirs (KU=1270 vs Prov=1124) there is no reason we can't out rebound them.
8. Defend for 40 minutes! Swarm them like flies on dog crap.
Long and Short of this game:
Providence has great defense and crowds the paint. Teams that beat them hit about double digits 3's. If we come away only hitting 3 to 5 3's, we most likely lose this game. If We speed things up, run, run, run and play transition ball and get our points in the high 70's to low 80's we win. Providence likes to play slow ball half court and average in the mid to high 60's but as mentioned those games they lost, the opponents shot double digit 3's because Providence does a great job locking down the paint. We have to be a 3 point threat to open the paint, and the last few games our 3 ball has not been consistent enough to make me feel good about this match up. Hit 3's, crash glass, rebound and play tough D every possession. Sounds easy, now we just need to do it and prove we are worthy of a #1 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News