ADVERTISEMENT

KANSAS DROPS THIRD STRAIGHT: A FEW THOUGHTS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- Kansas just lost its third-straight Big 12 game, losing at Baylor, 75-69. Once again, Kansas found itself down early in the game and had to battle back, which has become the norm in Big 12 play. The Jayhawks continue to shoot themselves in the foot and, because of that, head to Kentucky on Saturday riding a three-game losing streak. I mean, Gradey Dick scored a game-high 24 points, which is certainly good news for Kansas. For the game, he was 8-of-13 from the field, 2-of-5 from behind the arc, and 6-of-6 from the free-throw line.

Jalen Wilson tallied 23 points and five rebounds on Monday night. Overall, Wilson was 10-of-16 from the field and 3-of-7 from the free-throw line. Really, Wilson has been the one bright spot this entire season, but he’s really been quite spectacular during KU’s current three-game losing streak.

The only other player to score in double-figures against Baylor was Kevin McCullar, Jr., who chipped in 14 points. For the game, he was 3-of-9 from the field, 0-of-3 from behind the arc, and 8-of-8 from the free-throw line. Near the end of the game, McCullar, Jr., had two wide-open looks from the corner, but couldn’t convert either attempt. He did lead the way with 12 rebounds, but his struggles on the offensive end continue for Kansas.

-- Dajuan Harris continues to be a nonfactor for Kansas on the offensive end of the court. On Monday night, he scored two points on 1-of-5 shooting from the field and 0-of-1 shooting from behind the arc. Against Baylor, Harris didn’t attempt a free throw, dished out four assists, committed four turnovers, was credited with one block and one steal. Harris, on the opening possession of the game, looked to have a baseline drive for a layup, but attempted to get the ball in the paint, which resulted in a turnover. He isn’t looking to score the ball, isn’t turning down open looks from behind the arc, and, from what I’ve seen during this current three-game losing streak, has no desire to shoot the basketball.

Harris, on the offensive end of the court, is playing with very little confidence at this time. I’m not suggesting that Self replace Harris, but he needs to become more of a factor on both ends of the court. Right now, he really isn’t much of a factor, aside from getting guys involved, on either side of the court.

-- Kansas really needs to do a better job of grabbing key rebounds at certain times during the game. The Jayhawks, late on Monday, were down by five points late in the game and had a chance to put even more pressure on Baylor, but simply couldn’t come away with any key rebounds. Kansas lost the battle on the glass by just two, 35-33, but in this case, it's not about the total number of rebounds, but being able to secure some key rebounds late to get over the hump. On numerous occasions, Self’s squad was in position to grab a key rebound, but simply got outworked by Baylor on several possessions.

-- I really don’t know if this is going to change this season or not, but the bench continues to be nonexistent for Kansas. I mean, KU’s bench accounted for two points on Monday night. Bobby Pettiford, Joseph Yesufu, MJ Rice, and Ernest Udeh, Jr., all logged minutes off the bench, but only Rice was able to get in the scoring column.

My guess is that Self eventually gets this figured out or just decides to ride with the guys he’s been leaning on all season, but at some point, Kansas is going to need some production off the bench. Right now, they’re getting nothing.

-- Moving forward the rest of the season, life isn’t going to get any easier for Kansas. The Jayhawks face Kentucky on Saturday and then return home to face Kansas State on Tuesday night. The losing streak is eventually going to end, but when? With each loss, the pressure will continue to mount. Everybody is going to come at Kansas with its best shot and the Jayhawks have to figure out a way to get out of this slump and get back on a winning streak. Obviously, it’s not going to happen all at once, and I think we can all agree that the slow starts have become a real problem.

With some time off before Kentucky, I’m guessing Self will give these guys some rest and then get them ready for a big-time game in Lexington on Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News