ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Junior Day Reaction: March 6th- 1:43 p.m.

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Just a quick note as I bring some instant reaction from some of the visitors I am hearing there were no new offers today. The recruits that hold an offer were the ones that had them before the visit.

------------------

Justin Taylor visited KU on Friday and KSU today. He is a two-way player that is getting recruiting for both sides from Nazareth Academy in Illinois.

I asked him about his visit to KU.

"I really like how the coaches introduced themselves and Coach Sampson and Coach Z have been recruiting me they have showed me their interest is high and I really liked their coaching style," he said.

He also talked about his KSU trip.

"I got up and went to Manhattan," he said. "At Kansas State I loved the facilities and loved the welcome I felt from Kansas State and Kansas as well. What's most important to me during this process is the honesty that a coach has with me and not sugar coating how they feel or what they see in me."

---------------------

Kennedy McDowell made the trip from Frisco, Tex. He goes to Memorial High School and already held an offer before the visit.

One thing that caught his attention was meeting with Taiwo Onatolu and Chris Simpson.

"I was with Coach O and Coach Simpson the most and let me say they are fun," he said. "It’s funny because I have a twin brother just like Coach O does so that was great to hear. They spent quality time with us and I felt very connected with them. It was amazing."

He also liked how organized the visit was and the campus.

"My visit was like a home away from home," McDowell said. "It felt so well put together. The campus was beautiful and the people are very chill."

---------------------

Offensive lineman Michael Jimmar held an offer before the visit. He plays at Plainfield East in Illinois and he said the culture is something that stood out to him.

"My visit was amazing and I love everything about the KU culture and the coaching staff made me feel like I belong there I love Rock Chalk experience," Jimmar said.

He was around Fuchs and met with Leipold.

"I love how the coaches kept real with me and what made me more excited was when they showed us the academic stuff," he said. "It was great being around Coach Fuchs and being able to talk with him and meet him was awesome."

---------------------

Martin Owusu made the visit from Minnesota from Prior Lake.

During the visit he met with new DL coach Jim Panagos.

"The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that coach Panagos really went in depth with me and my family and really spent a lot of time with us the entire day and showed that he was truly interested in me and I believe an offer will be coming soon," Owusu said.

He also got a chance to meet with Lance Leipold.

"I was able to have conversations with head Coach Leipold and many different position coaches and I can tell Kansas is on a turn for the better from the impression I got from the whole team and staff," Owusu said.

--------------------

Thomas Paasch had an offer from Kansas prior to his visit. The OL from Southwest High in Green Bay, Wisc. got to watch practice, spend time around staff and attend the basketball game.

"The visit was amazing," Paasch said. "We started by watching practice, and that gave me a good look at what coaching is like at this level and specifically at Kansas. Next, we went into team and position meetings. That was another great opportunity to view the coaching staff, specifically Coach Fuchs, the OL Coach. Then we did a photo shoot and had lunch. After that, we went to the basketball game."

Paasch believes the staff has the program going in the right direction and said the atmosphere in Allen Fieldhouse can be the same in football.

"This was the part that really stood out to me," he said. "The Fieldhouse was so loud and was packed with fans. Because of this, I think it is completely possible to have the football stadium packed as well. And once Kansas starts winning again, I think that’s going to be a very common thing to see."

Will have more from Paasch in the upcoming days and his time around the coaches.

----------------------

The winner of miles traveled for junior day might go to Surahz Buncom from California. He told me after the visit was over he and his family went to KC to eat at Joes BBQ.

He talked about watching practice and the basketball game.

"The visit was amazing," he said. "KU is great in many aspects. I got to see the practice and view how things operate. Went on a tour around campus and got to experience an overtime basketball game vs Texas. The atmosphere is crazy and the campus is nice. There was definitely a lot that stood out to me."

Buncom has been talking to WR coach Terrence Samuel since he took the job in December.

"One of the many things that stood out to me is the information the receiver coach, Coach Samuel, was going over during our position meeting," he said. "I gained a lot from that short meeting period and really got to see and understand the philosophy he is teaching."

-----------------------

QB Chance Wilson made the trip from Oklahoma but is familiar with the area. He was born in Kansas City and lived in Olathe until he was in sixth grade.

He spent time around Lance Leipold, Jim Zebrowski, and Brian Borland, whos recruits his area.

"It was great meeting Coach Leipold," Wilson said. "He seems to be a coach that is mostly concerned with getting his players better and creating a great culture. I got to spend a lot of time talking to Coach Z and really enjoyed getting to know him better. I feel like my skills are a great fit for what he likes.

"He loves a QB who can play loose, open, natural and throw from any position while in the pocket or not and also able to make plays with his arm and feet when needed. I also talked to Coach Borland a lot which was fun because he visited my school and met my coaches a couple months ago."

Wilson took in the basketball and liked the outcome.

"All the coaches and staff were very friendly and personable," he said. "I really liked getting to see and hear their plans for continuing to build the KU football program. Also, who could beat watching an OT Jayhawk victory in basketball."

-----------------------

Taylor Davis is listed as an athlete and can play several positions and the KU coaches are recruiting him as a safety. The Missouri City, Texas native had a lot of good things to say.

He said the community feeling stood out to him.

"My visit was awesome I took a visit around the whole campus, as I went around campus I felt since of togetherness and unity around the community," he said. " I enjoyed my time just getting to know the campus, and coaches , some of the coaches I talked to were head coach Lance Leipold, running backs coach Jonathan Wallace, and defensive coordinator/safeties coach Brian Borland."

The entire staff made Davis come away with a positive feel on his visit and he plans to return.

"Overall I would have to say I felt so much love from coaches to student interns," Davis said. "This is the most welcoming place I’ve ever been and I can’t wait to come back."

--------------------------

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News