ADVERTISEMENT

I view Lucas differently than I've heard many on here speak to

kanzan

Sophomore
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2001
It's rooted from my old school experience that a program needs equal parts program players and "stars." I watched him as a freshman beanpole and said, he ain't ever going to play much for us. Depth. We're in trouble if we have to use him. My exact first impressions....

He grew into a man. Got 9 points but only 3 boards against by FAR the best big man we've seen all year, board and defensively-wise. Not a star, but shouldn't have had to have been. To his credit, he certainly more than held his own this year.

It's not his fault he became literally almost our only option against the best of the best at the 5. And he had so many double doubles this year, especially for as late in the year as it took before he became our primary at 5 a few weeks in. And he played so solidly all year. If Dok hadn't gotten hurt, the two of them would have been formidable by year's end.

But I'll say this. He was not a star talent-wise, but he had a champion's heart. The weight, the muscle, the growth in numerous areas, the obvious practice and dedication to have come that far... he's really been cut on by many in the Slant cause he didn't dominate his last game. But to be there... where only the best of the best we've seen exposed him some? He to me became the ultimate program player and role player. Had we a star down low to pair him with? (No offense to Jackson, who was a star, but he was anything but a traditional 4.)

If he were here right now I'd say, "son, I'd like a dozen more guys with a heart and mindset like yours. You improved a lot. We didn't quite get to the summit, but I have to say... I KNOW you gave everything and then some you had to give. Your defensive position on most bigs, one on one... is so typically under rated. You are excellent holding your ground and pushing them out; far, far, far better than anyone else we had after Dok went out."

"Well done, you really came a long ways. And no one with any sense of the sport can say you didn't do pretty darn well; above anyone's... and I mean anyone's... expectations 5 years ago.

Now, you're solid. A fabulous role player. Kudos, my man. Well done. Most of all... you came a long, long, long way. With heart, dedication, and focus you made the most of your athletic abilities. KU has developed bigs. Ideally, a starting star big and a role player big? If you'd have been asked to play that role? You'd have been in your element more. Still, you deserve respect and acknowledgement galore. Just wanted to articulate that not all of us may give you your just due, but you done real, real good. You over achieved in so many areas you were taken for granted. Not by all of us. Thanks for the memories."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News