ADVERTISEMENT

HUNTER DICKINSON TO KANSAS AND WHAT IT MEANS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Just a little bit ago, Hunter Dickinson, the 7-foot-1, 260-pound center from Hyattsville, Md., verbally committed to Bill Self and Kansas. Dickinson, who averaged 18.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per game last season, picked Self's squad over Maryland, Kentucky, Villanova, and a few others. The No. 1 ranked player in the transfer portal, Dickinson completely changes the look of KU's 2023-24 season. A few days ago, Dickinson talked about his official visit to Kansas and provided a closer look at the recruiting process the second time around.

"Kansas was really cool. Just going there and to Kentucky, it's just so different than being at Michigan because at Michigan obviously everything is focused on football. But walking by the facilities and stuff, just how much basketball is so dominant there. And it was really just cool to see the facilities, the dorms. Then talking with Coach Self for a while and meeting the whole staff and the players, it was really cool. And then going to [Allen Fieldhouse], the fieldhouse was crazy. It just looks like it's going to be loud as hell there.

"Bill Self is a really cool guy. A really cool and down-to-earth guy."

Here’s what he had to say about making a final decision.

“I do hate how people think I’m trying to just drag this along. If I knew where I was going, I would’ve happily made the decision sooner. I really am struggling trying to pick a school. The good thing about all of this is, all my options, I feel like if I went there I would succeed. But it’s just trying to figure out which one out of them is the best and the one I’m most comfortable at. I know I’ll succeed at any four of them, but it’s kind of just where I feel the most comfortable.”

On Wednesday morning, that decision was finally made, as Dickinson released a video of his commitment to Kansas.

Currently, KU's roster looks like this: Dajuan Harris, Wilder Evers, Charlie McCarthy, Michael Jankovich, Dillon Wilhite, Ernest Udeh, Jr., KJ Adams, Jr., Zuby Ejiofor, Hunter Dickinson, Arterio Morris, Nicolas Timberlake, Marcus Adams, Jr., Elmarko Jackson, Jamari McDowell, and Chris Johnson.

Now, with Hunter Dickinson in the fold, Kansas, without question, has emerged as a big-time National Title contender. Hunter is the type of player that is going to average 20 or more points and 10 or more rebounds per game. He's going to be a big-time presence in the paint and can step outside and score as well.

As big as today is for the staff, I don't believe that Kansas is done recruiting. A name to keep an eye on is Mackenzie Mgbako, the 6-foot-8, 195-pound small forward from Roselle (NJ) Catholic HS. I was recently told that Kansas was trending in the right direction and looked like to team to beat. I saw that Rob Cassidy Tweeted something after Dickinson committed indicating the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News