ADVERTISEMENT

How do we minimize the number of people leaving?

esuStorm4Hawks

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 1, 2007
Something that would help solve the roster problem is minimizing the number of people that leave the program before their eligibility is up. It won't add to the numbers in the sense of initial qualifiers, but we are dealing with a simple equation here when it comes to roster numbers:

Inflow (Initial Qualifiers) - Outflow (people leaving because there eligibility is up, people leaving before their eligibility is up)

Note I know you can add in walk-ons that receive scholarships, but that is a little bit of fools gold here. We can't really do much about losing people who's eligibility is up, so I think the focus is on guys that leave before their eligibility is up. Some of those guys leave because of injury reasons, of which there isn't much we can do about that. But we can do something about guys that leave voluntarily, whether it be like Isaiah Johnson with a senior transfer situation, another transfer situation, or something similar.

So my question is how do we minimize this? My gut instinct is that this is something a player friendly coach can impact things in a positive way, is my thinking with respect to that off? I am not sure of the answers here, but I do know while all programs experience attrition at some point in time, some programs experience it less than KU has recently so I want to see it decrease. If we can minimize this, it will help us get the roster numbers back to respectable numbers sooner...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News