ADVERTISEMENT

How do we handle the 2020 Recruiting Class?

Which one do you want more of?

• Kansas recruits

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Out of state recruits

Votes: 55 91.7%

• Total voters

jolebo

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2015
Since last week, I have been thinking way too much about recruiting. And then, JhawkFitness said the following last night.

I'm not saying KU needs to be worried, but KSU does have a couple of local HS kids with D1 offers doing some behind the scenes recruiting for them. I've seen the "Let's all commit and build something special in Manhattan" DMs. They're killing it with local kids right now.

We all know of how much we desire to sign as many of the really good quality 2020 Kansas HS 2020 players as possible, but we know that Kansas State is after them, as well. Even though both schools have new head coaches and new directions, KSU is ahead of us, for plenty of reasons, not including the media.
  • We like to talk about Coach Miles winning a national championship, but that happened in January 2008, when the 2020 high school juniors were in kindergarten. Even though it is FCS, Klieman won national championships in 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018. Klieman's titles are fresh on their minds, including what was shown on ESPN just 17 days ago.
  • Miles' name carries national appeal, but Klieman has recruited in Kansas and the Kansas CIty area, having 6 players on his 2018 roster from Kansas and/or Kansas City area.
  • All the local players know is KSU winning and KU losing. These players were most likely born in 2001 or 2002. KSU is 14-4, vs KU, since 2001, including the dreadful 10 game winning streak.
  • According to the Rivals commitment pages, KSU has picked up 31 local players, compared to 11 for KU, from 2015 to 2019, primary years for these recruits to see how college football recruiting works.
  • KSU had their exclusive Junior Day, for the 2020 Kansas/Kansas City area recruits, before ours, showcasing some early, serious attention to all of them.
Even though I listed the advantages KSU possesses, it is not over for us, for we still have enough time to grab their attention.

As for our situation, there is something else that does not get mentioned much. Clint Bowen, our longtime local high school connection, has a contract that expires in December 2019. Along with that, our original Louisiana connection, Tony Hull, has a contract that expires in February 2020. We have no idea of how the final result, after this season. For example, is Ashaad Clayton solely looking at KU, because of Hull? How does Ky Thomas see this, such as is he second fiddle for KU? So much to process.

On the other hand for us, we already have a taste of the potential out of state recruits we can sign, and they are very appealing. Yes, it will be nice to get a nice mixture of both, but this is going to be quite the recruiting cycle.

Reactions: Pennsyhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News